Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Barrel interchangeability question
Barrel interchangeability question [message #47802] Wed, 17 January 2024 01:01 Go to next message
Texas Hunter is currently offline  Texas Hunter
Forum Newbie
My name is Roberto and I just registered to this group. I have a question and I’m hoping someone can help me. I bought this exact gun and gave it to my father as a Christmas present a few years ago. I don’t know much about TCs. My question is, are barrels interchangeable and if so, which barrels and types are interchangeable? Hopefully someone can help.
Re: What is a Herrett Grip [message #47803 is a reply to message #47802] Wed, 17 January 2024 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
First, welcome to the group.

If it's an Encore, they're all interchangeable.

If it's a Contender, then it depends, sort of. They'll all fit, but some configurations are harder to work than others.

So lets start out by asking which one you're talking about?

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!

[Updated on: Wed, 17 January 2024 10:44]

Report message to a moderator

Re: What is a Herrett Grip [message #47804 is a reply to message #47803] Wed, 17 January 2024 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Texas Hunter is currently offline  Texas Hunter
Forum Newbie
Thank you. A PISTOL. CAL. ON BARREL IS 30 HERRETT. CONTENDER ORIGINAL according to the web. It’s the exact same one on this original post. 1 of 500 edition tribute to Steve Herrett
Re: What is a Herrett Grip [message #47807 is a reply to message #47803] Thu, 18 January 2024 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
The Herrett grips were one version TC put on the Contender for a while.

If Memory serves, this is what they looked like.

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=8780&private=0
  • Attachment: Capture.JPG
    (Size: 94.81KB, Downloaded 74 times)

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: What is a Herrett Grip [message #47809 is a reply to message #47807] Fri, 19 January 2024 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gemihur is currently offline  gemihur
Forum Regular
Roberto,
You're question "which barrels and types are interchangeable?" has a few subtle caveats, ie; frame manufacture # above 195,000 or not and potential barrel containing split lug bolts or solid just to mention the main variables that might influence a barrel's fit and function. A pin in the receiver over the thrigger is an indication of an 'easy-open' frame. More discussion and details required to ascertain specific compatibilities.
I recently acquired a 10" bull barrel with a solid locking bolt chambered in 357 Herrett from a fellow shooter and attempted mounting it to a variety of my frames (none being G2).
Well wouldn't you know it, I finally after 30 years of contender fiddling had a frame lock up! You mount the barrel to the frame, slide the pin through both frame and barrel, close it up, and BINGO! There it stays, never to open by trigger guard release no matter the pressure applied. I eventually removed the trigger group to access the bolt's 'ears' and push them forward thereby disengaging them from the receiver's 'table'
I really got the barrel for it's rings.
Welcome to the Monkey House.
https://i.postimg.cc/50sfc1Fm/Herrett-wearing-Herrett.jpg

Think twice...shoot once.

[Updated on: Fri, 19 January 2024 12:43]

Report message to a moderator

Re: What is a Herrett Grip [message #47810 is a reply to message #47809] Fri, 19 January 2024 14:41 Go to previous message
gemihur is currently offline  gemihur
Forum Regular
... eventually, the solution to my delimma was to change out the solid locking bolt for a set of split locking bolts, most economically obtained from Optics Planet https://www.opticsplanet.com/ssk-firearms-contender-hand-bol t.html
Good luck with your contender shooting, and your generosity to award your father with a Steve Herrett commemorative contender was an impressive gift.

Think twice...shoot once.
Previous Topic: Fox Ridge identification
Next Topic: "That" question - The one about swapping pistol / rifle barrels on frames
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 10:57:24 EDT 2024