Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » What bullet do you use in your muzzeloader?
What bullet do you use in your muzzeloader? [message #7242] Sun, 11 December 2011 14:36 Go to next message
blgoode is currently offline  blgoode
Forum Newbie
Im looking at getting a muzzeloader next year. Id rather not have to clean plastic residue out after each shot like Ive read some saboted bullets can cause. What do you guys use in your muzzeloaders?
Re: What bullet do you use in your muzzeloader? [message #7244 is a reply to message #7242] Sun, 11 December 2011 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
blgoode,
It's either plastic, or lead, or copper. If it goes down a barrel, it's going to eventually cause some type of fouling and have to be cleaned out. Personally, I'll take cleaning plastic out of a barrel vice lead or copper any day. Never had an issue. Plus, with blackpowder, you are going to have to ensure you are cleaning it thoroughly anyway. If you aren't planning on cleaning, blackpowder may not be for you. Neglecting a blackpowder rifle will ruin it quickly, and permanently.

With muzzleloaders, it's just like any other firearm - you're going to have to play around with various loads to find what will shoot the best. There are exceptions to every rule, but for the most part, if you are shooting a modern inline muzzleloader, your sabotted rounds or a hybrid such as a Powerbelt will work the best. If you are shooting a flintlock or percussion rifle, you will probably be better off with a patched ball or mini-ball / maxi-ball setup.

Personally, I like Powerbelt bullets. I know a lot of people that hate them. But for the blackpowder rifles I've owned in the past (all modern inlines), it was the best choice for me.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: What bullet do you use in your muzzeloader? [message #7245 is a reply to message #7244] Sun, 11 December 2011 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
Thanks Glenn,
Im just having this vision of shooting one round and not being able to get a decent fowled string of groups due to cleaning the barrel so often. Sounds like just shoot it and see what works. What I like about muzzle loaders is that its more kitchen table safe with family and skittish wife. I clean all mo other guns in the building/ shop but Id probably clean this gun there as well. Easier to not worry about oils and what not getting on things.

Re: What bullet do you use in your muzzeloader? [message #7261 is a reply to message #7245] Mon, 12 December 2011 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doyle is currently offline  Doyle
Forum Regular
If you are using anything other than Blackhorn 209, you should clean your bore after each shot anyway. To do anything less means that your first shot at a deer (which will be on a clean barrel) will not match the last shot you made on the range.

As to bullets, my favorite is the Hornady SST in 250grn. It is the exact same bullet as the T/C shockwave but with a different color tip (and a lower cost). I've never experienced any kind of plastic buildup in the barrel.
Re: What bullet do you use in your muzzeloader? [message #7262 is a reply to message #7261] Mon, 12 December 2011 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wolverine is currently offline  wolverine
Novice Contributor
I use the Hornady SST 250gr .451 with Crush Sabots, from Cabela's. Triple 7 loose powder. I put a 50cal felt wad between the powder and the sabot, stops the powder from melting the sabot. More shots and easier to clean up, improves grouping in my Encore.
Re: What bullet do you use in your muzzeloader? [message #7279 is a reply to message #7262] Mon, 12 December 2011 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
great TIP wolverine
Re: What bullet do you use in your muzzeloader? [message #7378 is a reply to message #7242] Sat, 17 December 2011 13:38 Go to previous message
19star61 is currently offline  19star61
Forum Newbie
Banned
I am using the TC sabot bullets, with Blackhorn 209 powder. A deadly combo, accurate and powerful too. With the Blackhorn powder, it is a easy cleen-up too.
Previous Topic: Contender hammer
Next Topic: Weighing Every Powder Charge
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 16:15:32 EDT 2024