Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » legal limits with barrel length
legal limits with barrel length [message #8192] Tue, 17 January 2012 18:35 Go to next message
catfish752001 is currently offline  catfish752001
Forum Newbie
OK,SOMEONE SET ME STRAIGHT ON THIS ONE 'CAUSE I HAVN'T FOUND MY ANSWER YET....IF YOU HAVE A 15" BARREL,YOU THREAD THE END AND PUT A BRAKE/COMPENSATOR ON THE END AND THE OVERALL LENGTH IS OVER 16"S(SAY 16 1/4")IS IT THEN A LEGAL BARREL FOR A RIFLE SINCE THE OVERALL LENGTH IS OVER 16?....AND IF YOU PULL THE BRAKE/COMP. OFF AND PUT A CAP ON IT AND ITS BACK TO 15"S IS IT A LEGAL PISTOL BARREL....WHAT IS THE LEGALS ON THIS? Shocked
Re: legal limits with barrel length [message #8196 is a reply to message #8192] Tue, 17 January 2012 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sam77757 is currently offline  sam77757
Novice Contributor

your correct. 15" or less is a pistol barrel and 16" and up is a rifle barrel. but you also have to watch and not convert a rifle into a pistol. here is some good reading on this subject.

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=239
Re: legal limits with barrel length [message #8199 is a reply to message #8196] Tue, 17 January 2012 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Good info in that link, but your statements are not entirely correct. To use as a rifle barrel, it has to be pinned, not just threaded on there. Same as a 14.5" M-4 barrel. They put a comp / flash hider on it to bring it over the legal 16" limit, but it's not just threaded on there. It's pinned "permanantly" in place. Once it is there, it's there.

Less than 16" is pistol. 16" or greater is a rifle.

But no matter who's advice you get on the Internet, the only people that matter are the BATFE. "I read it on Encore Classifieds" is not a valid arguement when in front of the judge. We can offer advice and opinions, but the BATFE is the only opinion that really counts regarding this subject.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: legal limits with barrel length [message #8208 is a reply to message #8199] Wed, 18 January 2012 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Cajun's right, the brake must be permanently attached - and Red Locktite isn't permanent enough.

Local laws may override, but you can pretty much have any barrel on a pistol. It must be over 16" on a rifle and the rifle must measure over 36" in total length. You could get into difficulty with an Encore/Contender having a 16" barrel and a stock cut down for one of your kids.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: legal limits with barrel length [message #8213 is a reply to message #8208] Wed, 18 January 2012 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dave22250 is currently offline  dave22250
My understanding is 16 or under is pistol but anything over could be used with pistol grip ?????
Re: legal limits with barrel length [message #8215 is a reply to message #8213] Wed, 18 January 2012 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Anything under 16" can only be on a pistol.
Anything over 16" can be used on a rifle or pistol**

**Unless your locallity has other restrictions - like California

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: legal limits with barrel length [message #8219 is a reply to message #8215] Wed, 18 January 2012 17:19 Go to previous message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
That should be 26" overall length

Previous Topic: Encore Frame Width
Next Topic: Interest in 308 Marlin Express Pro Hunter Barrel
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 17:12:38 EDT 2024