Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Barrel Wall Thickness
Barrel Wall Thickness [message #8894] Tue, 14 February 2012 10:11 Go to next message
SuperKirby is currently offline  SuperKirby
Novice Contributor
I want a fast twist, .45 muzzleloader. I can't afford to have a barrel custom built, so the option I can afford is to have a 45-70 barrel converted to a muzzleloader barrel. Here's my question - I would like to have something short for hunting in the woods, so I'm thinking about using one of the Katahdin barrels. Before I buy one I was hoping there was somebody that had one of these barrels that could measure the thickness of barrel material at the muzzle. The reason for this is to see if I can have the barrel drilled and tapped for a ramrod thimble. The standard TC 45-70 barrels are too thin to have this done, but the Bergara barrels are thick enough. I was hoping the 45-70 Katahdin barrels had a different profile to them.
If anyone can help me I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks!
Vince
Re: Barrel Wall Thickness [message #8929 is a reply to message #8894] Wed, 15 February 2012 22:28 Go to previous message
RICKinNH is currently offline  RICKinNH
Forum Newbie
Hi Vince,
I have the 45-70 Katahdin barrel At the end of the barrel - the OD = .850", and the wall thickness is about .200".
I also have the 209x50 Katahdin barrel. The OD = .880", and the wall thickness is again about .200"

Hope this helps you in your explosion...oops...I meant experiment.! Surprised)
Previous Topic: Which custom barrel
Next Topic: Colorado deer and elk handgun cal?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 19:31:47 EDT 2024