Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » I need some help
I need some help [message #9826] Sun, 18 March 2012 10:27 Go to next message
SuperKirby is currently offline  SuperKirby
Novice Contributor
I know I've asked a few questions about the 45-70 barrels before, and I appreciate the help. So far I haven't been able to quite get things figured out to make them work the way I want. Here's what I'm after and a few questions afterwards.
The end result of this project is a 45-70 barrel converted to a muzzleloader. The hang up for me is I would like the ramrod under the barrel like a standard muzzleloader rather than having to carry a collapsible rod seperately. If I use a Bergara barrel it has thicker barrel walls and can have it drilled/tapped for a thimble. My other option is to use a TC barrel and a clamp on rod support like the Rem 700ml. The problem with a Bergara barrel is they aren't drilled for open sights, which the state of MN says I have to use to hunt.
So here's some questions. Hopefully they don't get too confusing.

- First, anyone that has either a Bergara or TC 45-70 barrel, can you tell me outside diameter of the barrel a few inches back from the muzzle? A Rem 700ML barrel is .850 where the support clamps on to the barrel. I have one of these supports coming that I will use if it will work on either barrel.

- The next challenge would then be the forend. I have an extra set of ML forend studs (with the ramrod support holes through them) to screw on in place of the standard studs. So then my question is what's the screw hole spacing for a standard rifle forend vs. a muzzleloader forend? I know I asked before about what forend is used on the Bergara barrel, and I believe everyone said rifle. However could you use a muzzleloader forend on either barrel?

Sorry for all the questions. Hopefully they make enough sense to get at what I'm trying to do. I do appreciate the help.
Thanks again.
Vince
Re: I need some help [message #9827 is a reply to message #9826] Sun, 18 March 2012 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
youngoutdoors is currently offline  youngoutdoors
Forum Newbie
Are you talking about the Contender or the Encore? I was thinking of making a .45 MZ barrel for my Contender and pondered the 45-70. In my opinion attaching the ramrod to the barrel would cause accuracy to suffer a little. I prefer a packable ramrod myself.

God Bless, Louis
Re: I need some help [message #9828 is a reply to message #9827] Sun, 18 March 2012 11:32 Go to previous message
SuperKirby is currently offline  SuperKirby
Novice Contributor
I'm looking for the Encore. I just got a .45 Contender barrel. I think the place I got my Contender barrel from still has one or 2 more in stock and they were very reasonably priced. The only downside is it's impossible to find a forend for it. I ended up taking a rifle forend and modifying it to fit. Works fine. Send me a PM if you want to know more about that.
The two concerns I have with a packable rod are foregetting it somewhere first and foremost, but also from what I've found so far it looks like I'm going to spend 50-60 just for the rod. If you know of a cheaper one I would be open to considering it.
As for accuracy, I've seen a couple tests where people shot with rod in and rod out. Some said there was a difference, some said there wasn't. If there is any difference it's small enough that I'm not concerned about it in a hunting situation. At the bench I always shoot with no rod.
Previous Topic: Paint removal
Next Topic: Contender in 32 H&R Magnum
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 13:42:12 EDT 2024