Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Shipping back to T/C (Cost for shipping to Manufacturer)
Shipping back to T/C [message #11676] Tue, 19 June 2012 13:45 Go to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
I have a contender that I need to send to T/C to either fix as it is randomly difficult to open or convert it to easy break. Not sure why, but sometimes it opens easy, other times you have to hit it on something to get it to open and that is opening and closing it without shooting. Has anyone on here recently shipped a gun back to the manufacturer for repair? How much did it cost and what/who is the best carrier to use? I am reading that we have to ship overnight and that makes the price skyrocket on the shipping.

Thanks.
Re: Shipping back to T/C [message #11681 is a reply to message #11676] Wed, 20 June 2012 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cavemtnman is currently offline  cavemtnman
Forum Newbie
I shipped a contender frame a couple of weeks ago by priority mail, insured, delivery confrimation, with no problems.
Re: Shipping back to T/C [message #11691 is a reply to message #11681] Wed, 20 June 2012 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Regular
Interesting. Everything I have read says you can not ship a handgun via USPS unless you have a FFL. So I guess the real question is, how would they know if it is a handgun configuration or a long gun configuration at USPS?
Re: Shipping back to T/C [message #11701 is a reply to message #11691] Thu, 21 June 2012 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lepcur is currently offline  lepcur
Top Contributor
Just send it in a priority flat rate box, if your just sending the frame it won't cost but about 10 bucks and they'll have it in a couple days.
Re: Shipping back to T/C [message #11736 is a reply to message #11701] Fri, 22 June 2012 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Regular
I kind of need to send the barrel also since the problem is that it hangs up when opening. So, what happens if you ship a "pistol" through the USPS and get caught? Since it is technically against the rules?
Re: Shipping back to T/C [message #11737 is a reply to message #11736] Fri, 22 June 2012 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
http://www.gunbroker.com/support/SupportFAQView.aspx?faqid=1 118

What happens? Hmmm. Lose the pistol, probably get a visit by several law enforcement agencies and get to spend several thousand $$$$$ on a lawyer you will definitely want to make sure is a good one?

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!

[Updated on: Fri, 22 June 2012 15:43]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Shipping back to T/C [message #11738 is a reply to message #11737] Fri, 22 June 2012 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doyle is currently offline  Doyle
Forum Regular
I wouldn't cost too much more to ship them separately and avoid the issue.
Re: Shipping back to T/C [message #11770 is a reply to message #11738] Sun, 24 June 2012 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
grits is currently offline  grits
Novice Contributor
i dont believe you guy,s
if serial number is
afixed its a firearm (atf) it must be shiped fed x or ups over nite the law if shipping to s@w contact them before they will walk you thru dont get in trouble grits

grits p
Re: Shipping back to T/C [message #11782 is a reply to message #11770] Mon, 25 June 2012 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
littleking is currently offline  littleking
Forum Admin

grits wrote on Sun, 24 June 2012 21:52
i dont believe you guy,s
if serial number is
afixed its a firearm (atf) it must be shiped fed x or ups over nite the law if shipping to s@w contact them before they will walk you thru dont get in trouble grits

not if it's being returned for repairs. (i just did it)
Re: Shipping back to T/C [message #11812 is a reply to message #11782] Tue, 26 June 2012 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lab-lover is currently offline  lab-lover
Novice Contributor
make two packages,one with the frame the other with the barrel.no problems as long as it is not a "fully functional" weapon= you are shipping parts!i do it all the time
Re: Shipping back to T/C [message #11828 is a reply to message #11812] Wed, 27 June 2012 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Regular
I have been reading a lot of posts on this subject (as well as ATF rules) and this is what I have come to determine. By the definition under the NFA, if it doesn't have a barrel, it is neither a long gun or a handgun it falls under the category of "other" but is still considered a firearm. The laws on shipping handgun says "handgun" (and rules of individual carriers), so it follows that if it is "other", it is not a handgun. No barrel implies "other". So by that reasoning, it can be shipped via USPS as long as the barrel is not attached and in a separate container. I agree with Lab-Lover. Can anyone else add or detract from my new found understanding?

Thanks.

Also, I may have just determined that I don't need to send it back. I have been fooling around with the barrels and frame and decided to try the 35 rem barrel that came on it. The 7-30 barrel (for G2 per when I ordered it)was the one that was causing the problem. It would be easy to open and then difficult to open randomly. Anyway, the 35 rem barrel does not hang up, so I swapped the barrel bolts from the 35 to the 7-30, voila, problem went away. The 35 bolts look different and they have a floating shaft across the bolts for the trigger guard to disengage it with. The 7-30 bolts do not have the floating shaft as they have nipples made on each bolt permanently. Not sure if that is the problem or if I need to polish the top or face of the bolts from the 7-30. So, for the time being, I am have no reason to send it back. Has anyone else experienced this? Both sets of bolts are split bolts, but they are made a bit different.

[Updated on: Wed, 27 June 2012 15:41]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Shipping back to T/C [message #11837 is a reply to message #11828] Wed, 27 June 2012 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Forum Regular
Just found this on EABCO webpage. Appears to agree. Since they deal with this all the time, they probably know what they are talking about.

Sending In Guns for Upgrade or Service - No FFL is required when sending your gun directly to us for upgrade or service. We are a licensed FFL facility and you may ship your gun to us legally. We recommend using UPS and insuring for replacement cost. Ship to the address above. We return the gun to the address you shipped from.
Special Handgun Shipping Information: Shootable handguns require Next Day Air Shipping. Deactivated handguns such as Contender or Encore frames with no barrel or Ruger single action revolvers with no cylinder can be shipped by ground at our shipping chart rates.
Ordering Custom Barrels or Sending Barrels In - Barrels you order can be shipped directly to you. This includes TC Encore and Contender barrels. Use UPS or Postal Services to send a barrel to us.
Previous Topic: Encore Barrels
Next Topic: Scope mounts
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 04:17:47 EDT 2024