Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » contender vs G2 barrels (whats the diff)
contender vs G2 barrels [message #12159] Sun, 15 July 2012 11:46 Go to next message
robertthe14u is currently offline  robertthe14u
Forum Newbie
Need help
I have an old style contender and wanted info onthe barrels I can use.
I read G2's will work then I read there is a difference . If there is a diff how can I tell ? Any help will be appreciated .
thanks
BOB
Re: contender vs G2 barrels [message #12161 is a reply to message #12159] Sun, 15 July 2012 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WV338 is currently offline  WV338
Forum Regular
Forum Moderator

These three frames are different as night and day in some respects and identical in others. So how do you know which is which?

Hang on tight.....Here we go......

Basic Differences
Frame Sizes: Encore is bigger than G2 or Contender,
Barrel diameters where they seat in the frame: Contender/G2 13/16," Encore 1" so they do not interchange, thus,
Scope Bases: Encores have the larger radius on the bottom,
Internal mechanism: Contender has a hammer block, Encore and G2 sears lock the hammer at half cock,
Trigger Mechanisms: Two different types of Contender trigger groups both of which are removeable while Encore and G2 trigger mechanisms are not removeable,
Firing Pins: Encore is center fire only, Contender and G2 have a selector on the hammer to fire either centerfire or rimfire,
Hinge Pin Hole Diameters: Encore is 7/16" (.4375"), and Contender and G2 are 3/8" (.375"),
Internal Frame Mechanism Springs: No Springs in the Contender frame interchange with Encores & G2s,
Forend Screws: Contenders & G2s use No. 10x32, and Encores use No. 8x40 screws,
Hammer Extensions: Two different sizes for Contenders--vintage with the selector lever on top of the hammer is the same size as on Encore and G2,
Dry Firing: Encores and G2s should not be dry fired unless the firing pin bushing is removed and the fall of the hammer cushioned while Contenders can be dry fired continuously with no harm at all to the frame SO LONG AS THE HAMMER IS NOT COCKED (Dry firing simply releases the striker in the trigger group and gives the full effect of the trigger pull, independent of the hammer being cocked. Opening and closing the barrel resets the striker),
Forend Screw Hole Spacing: Hole spacings for handgun barrels is different carbine hole spacings in both Contender/G2 barrels and Encore barrels.
Grips/Buttstocks: Contenders, G2s, and Encores all take different grips, buttstocks, and forends.

Basic Things in Common
Hammer Springs: Encore and G2 use the same spring,
Trigger/Sear Springs: Encores and G2s use the same springs, none of which work in Contenders,
Locking Bolt Springs in the Barrel Lug: ALL barrels for all three frames use the same Locking Bolt Spring,
Hammer Extensions: Encores and G2s use the same hammer extension,
Scope Base Mounting: Barrels for all three have the same hole spacing and use No. 6x48 screws, but the holes in Encore barrels are about .050" deeper,
Retaining pins in the barrel lug: All use 1/16" diameter roll pins for the extractor and 3/32" diameter for the locking bolts, but retaining pins for the Encore are longer for the wider lug it uses,
Trigger Overtravel Screw: Same No. 4x40 screw size for all three, but length actually required for any given frame varies from 3/16" more common to Contenders to 1/4" which is more common to Encores and G2s,
Interlock Mechanism: All three frames have an interlock to prevent the frame from firing a round unless the barrel's locking bolts safely engage the frame far enough and thus push the interlock back far enough to permit the frame to fire a round,
Grips/Buttstocks/Forends: All vintages of Contenders are the same,
Trigger/Sear Spring Pliers: Use for both G2 and Encore,
This information was copied from Mike Bellm's website.

Good luck and good shooting...
Greg

Whisper Ventures
355th TFW

[Updated on: Sun, 15 July 2012 13:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: contender vs G2 barrels [message #12162 is a reply to message #12161] Sun, 15 July 2012 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
thats a lot of info , also a link to more info at Mikes site

thanks greg

BOB

[Updated on: Sun, 15 July 2012 13:37]

Report message to a moderator

Re: contender vs G2 barrels [message #12163 is a reply to message #12162] Sun, 15 July 2012 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rock007 is currently offline  Rock007
Novice Contributor
I had the same question about G2 Barrels and the older contender frames. I emailed TC (Smith & Wesson) and this is the reply that was sent to me.

Thanks for your email. If your serial number on your Contender is over 150,000 then the G2 barrels will work. The older receives need to be machined to accept the newer barrels. This use to be able to be done at the T/C custom shop but they have closed it since being bought by S&W.

Hope this info helps.
Don
Re: contender vs G2 barrels [message #12253 is a reply to message #12163] Fri, 20 July 2012 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
Here is what I found. The barrels are the same. The difference is the locking lugs or bolts as TC calls them. I have a pre 150,000 serial frame in 35 rem and a G2 with a new 7-30 bbl. The 7-30 bbl will work on the old frame, but it is hard to open sometimes. I took the bolts off of the 35 rem and put on the 7-30, voila, worked perfectly on the old frame. Got the new G2 frame, tried the 35 rem with then new bolts, worked perfectly. Tried the new 7-30 bbl with the old bolts, wouldn't even lock up. Summing up, what I have found on my 2 frames and barrels, if you can get some frame correct bolts and install on you bbl that you plan on using on that frame, modification by you or TC isn't required.
Re: contender vs G2 barrels [message #12272 is a reply to message #12253] Sat, 21 July 2012 17:51 Go to previous message
Forum Newbie
good to know , thanks
Previous Topic: T/C Pro Hunter 20 Gauge Slug vs. Savage 220 20 Gauge Slug
Next Topic: Rear sight replacement on a .45LC / .410 barrel
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 06:46:10 EDT 2024