Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Encore Pistol ? (need advise)
Encore Pistol ? [message #1059] Tue, 02 February 2010 22:43 Go to next message
Bighunt is currently offline  Bighunt
Forum Newbie
I'm interested in purchasing a Encore Pistol, mainly for deer hunting and some fun at the range. I have never owned a pistol, but I do have a few rifles and shotguns.

While reading up on the Encore I was surprized that some web sites were saying it's a good pistol but you need to get a trigger job and be aware of head space and all kinds of other high tech gun talk.

Is this really needed for someone like myself who is mainly wanting to put some meat in the freezer and have a little fun doing it with a pistol?

Also, what caliber would you suggest for a deer pistol?

Any advice would be appreciated.

[Updated on: Tue, 02 February 2010 23:07]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Encore Pistol ? [message #1060 is a reply to message #1059] Tue, 02 February 2010 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Claysshotgunner is currently offline  Claysshotgunner
Novice Contributor
No, that is not all needed. Just about all encores willl work fine for someone like yourself. Someone always wants to "improve " a product. Now, the Encore may work better with changes made, but it may be an improvement YOU do not need.

My advice would to buy a frame, barrel and stock set. Shoot it some. If you find something you do not like, look around for a way to improve it ( trigger pull, etc ).

You will a lot of different ideas on deer calibers. So much will depend on where and how you hunt, range of average shot, etc.
Re: Encore Pistol ? [message #1061 is a reply to message #1060] Wed, 03 February 2010 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
littleking is currently offline  littleking
Forum Admin

claysshooter highlighted it all.

as for caliber, i'd suggest the 375 winchester... brass, bullets, powder are cheap and easy to find.

if your not a reloader, i'd suggest the 7mm-08.
Re: Encore Pistol ? [message #1066 is a reply to message #1061] Wed, 03 February 2010 21:44 Go to previous message
Bighunt is currently offline  Bighunt
Forum Newbie
Thanks for the info. I found an Encore pistol at the local gun deal, it appears to have been used very litte and it has a 44 caliber barrel. Should work good for deer.
Is thier any way to tell if it has had any work done to it? Like the trigger job?
Previous Topic: Encore vs Encore Pro Hunter
Next Topic: Scope base for rimfire barrel
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 13:09:17 EDT 2024