Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » T/C Pro Hunter 20 Gauge Slug vs. Savage 220 20 Gauge Slug (Which one do you think is more accurate?)
T/C Pro Hunter 20 Gauge Slug vs. Savage 220 20 Gauge Slug [message #12239] Thu, 19 July 2012 20:57 Go to next message
jgerber5 is currently offline  jgerber5
Novice Contributor
Which slug gun is more accurate?

T/C Encore Pro Hunter 20 gauge vs. Savage 220 20 gauge
Re: T/C Pro Hunter 20 Gauge Slug vs. Savage 220 20 Gauge Slug [message #12254 is a reply to message #12239] Fri, 20 July 2012 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Comparing apples to oranges there jgerber5.

If you are going to compare one firearm to another, it's best to keep within the same type of action at the very least. If you are going to compare the Encore Pro Hunter with a 20 gauge slug to another firearm of similar style, the H&R Ultra Slug Hunter would be a good candidate. I've owned the H&R. In 20 gauge, it still kicked like a mule, and had "decent" accuracy. Not rifle good accuracy, but still pretty good.

In the world of slug guns, the Savage 220 has no current equal that I know of. It's built off of the same pattern that Savage based their bolt action rifles on - Accutrigger and all. It's actually quite a weapon from all the reviews I've read on it. I contemplated buying one at the time that I bought my H&R, but bought the Ultra Slug Hunter due to price and availability. I couldn't find the Savage in stock back then, and it seems that they came out much later than they were advertised to come out. I was looking for one before they even hit the shelves, but couldn't wait any longer, so I bought the USH instead.

In the end though, it really matters on the slug choice and the person behind the firearm. "Junk" with one load could turn into a "tack driver" (man, I hate that term) with another. There are so many slugs to choose from these days, from something as simple as a Foster Slug, to some really nice Hollow Pointed and Ballistic Tip sabot models. My friends pump shotgun with a rifled cantilever barrel shot excellent with some cheap Brenneke slugs (A little over a $1 each). My H&R, however, liked the expensive stuff - Remington Core Lokt Ultra Bonded Sabot Slugs (About $4 each).

I shot a LOT of different slugs through a lot of different slug guns. At one point in time, I thought my shoulder would never recover. So glad that I moved out of VA to a state (TX) that I can use a rifle. The minute I moved here, I sold my slug gun.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!

[Updated on: Fri, 20 July 2012 23:25]

Report message to a moderator

Re: T/C Pro Hunter 20 Gauge Slug vs. Savage 220 20 Gauge Slug [message #12257 is a reply to message #12254] Sat, 21 July 2012 07:35 Go to previous message
jgerber5 is currently offline  jgerber5
Novice Contributor
Thanks Glen! Just comparing accuracy is all. I live in Wisconsin so I never had a use for a slug gun. Recently was drawn for a tag in IA so I jumped into the market. I have no experience with either. I'm not sure what to expect for accuracy out of any slug gun........moa at 100 yards?
Previous Topic: Which scope choice for a 7mm-08 pistol?
Next Topic: contender vs G2 barrels
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 06:30:39 EDT 2024