Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Reloading » 375 H&H Mag Encore barrel and reloading
375 H&H Mag Encore barrel and reloading [message #12324] Mon, 23 July 2012 12:35 Go to next message
Pcpharm is currently offline  Pcpharm
Novice Contributor
Firearm: Encore 375 H&H mag
Situation: purchase of barrel, Lee full-length & neck only dies along with both fired and unfired cases.
Story: I purchased a 375 H&H Mag Encore barrel with full-length and neck resizing dies, and both fired and unfired cases. All cases were fired from the barrel purchased. However, that barrel is now on my receiver, not the receiver from which the cases were fired.
Question: I know you are only supposed to neck resize cases when they will be fired from the same firearm. The problem is that I have the barrel that all the cases were fired from, but the receiver was not on the barrel when the cases were fired. I want to resize all the necks for the cases as many are "out of round". However, I am uncertain whether I need to full-length resize or only neck resize. So is it the just the barrel that dictates whether to neck resize or full-length resize, or is it both the barrel and the receiver? If just the barrel then I should be able to neck resize the cases and should be ready to reload. But if both the barrel and the receiver make up the chamber then I should full-length resize.
I am currently leaning to full-length resize just to be on the safe side. Thanks for all your comments and advice in advance. Smile
PCP
Re: 375 H&H Mag Encore barrel and reloading [message #12325 is a reply to message #12324] Mon, 23 July 2012 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Since you're dealing with a belted magnum, and the headspace is off the belt and not the shoulder. Neck size and be done with it.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!

[Updated on: Mon, 23 July 2012 13:33]

Report message to a moderator

Re: 375 H&H Mag Encore barrel and reloading [message #12326 is a reply to message #12325] Mon, 23 July 2012 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Make sure each neck sized case will chamber in the barrel though. I had some 300 Win Mag (from other firearms) that I neck sized and wouldn't chamber in my barrel.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: 375 H&H Mag Encore barrel and reloading [message #12357 is a reply to message #12326] Tue, 24 July 2012 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pcpharm is currently offline  Pcpharm
Novice Contributor
Hello Crubear:
Thanks for the discussion so far. I have read Mike Bellm's articles about neck resizing for the Encore, and I have kept copies of the articles on my own Word files. I take those into consideration when I reload for the Encore. I constantly think about the fact that the rear of the breech is the weakest point in an Encore and the case lengthening may eliminate the headspace.
If you neck only resize, what parameters do you use when to decide that the case needs to be full-length resized? I noted that you stated about making sure the case fits the chamber. Could you expand on that? Do you use headspace? Nice thing about the break-open actions is that headspace is not that hard to measure, as long as you can do 3 things at once.
PCP
Re: 375 H&H Mag Encore barrel and reloading [message #12358 is a reply to message #12357] Tue, 24 July 2012 14:53 Go to previous message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
I bought a bunch of 300 Win Mag cases and just neck sized and loaded them using a Lee Loader. When I got to the range the case body was wider than the chamber of my Encore. I had to pull all the bullets and full length resize. to check, just drop the case into the barrel chamber, if it doesn't go in easy then full length it.

The approach I try to use was spelled out in an issue of the Varmint Hunter Magazine (#4 I think). The author was the president of the Thompson Center Association and the article was about an accuracy problem he was having with a 7TCU. He would neck size and after the 5th or 6th time accuracy would start to fall off. What he found was that he needed to bump the shoulders back (which is what Bellm also says to do). So, for now I intend to neck size 5 times and bump size. I always check the case length using a Lee trimmer since I do crimp the 300WM

[Updated on: Tue, 24 July 2012 14:54]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: 284 GNR
Next Topic: .223 LOADS
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 05:28:08 EDT 2024