Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » 45-70 VS 500 smith & wesson mag. (45-70 VS 500 smith & wesson)
45-70 VS 500 smith & wesson mag. [message #13053] Thu, 16 August 2012 14:44 Go to next message
minturn1 is currently offline  minturn1
Forum Newbie
Can anyone tell me why you can shoot a 45-70 on a contender frame but the 500 smith & wesson requires a encore frame. I would expect the preasures to be close to the same.
Re: 45-70 VS 500 smith & wesson mag. [message #13054 is a reply to message #13053] Thu, 16 August 2012 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doyle is currently offline  Doyle
Forum Regular
Everything I've read shows the working pressure of the 500 S&W at somewhere near 60,000 psi. Whereas the working pressure of the 45-70 is somewhere south of 28,000 psi. Looks like a significant difference to me.
Re: 45-70 VS 500 smith & wesson mag. [message #13055 is a reply to message #13054] Thu, 16 August 2012 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
minturn1 is currently offline  minturn1
Forum Newbie
I guess I don't understand how the working preasure can be so differant and not effect bullet ballistics. They are comparable from what I have seen.
Re: 45-70 VS 500 smith & wesson mag. [message #13092 is a reply to message #13055] Fri, 17 August 2012 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
Pressure has nothing to do with recoil, at least not directly. Recoil is based on the weight of the bullet, the weight of the powder, the velocity of the bullet (and burnt powder gas as it exits the barrel) and the weight of the gun. Now, that can be affected by muzzle brakes etc (which I have no idea how to calculate, guess you would have to actually measure it). But on a straight barrel, it is determined by those listed above. There is also something called impulse which is related to perceived recoil based on whether it hits you all at once or has a gradual push. I think slower burning powders may give more of a push and faster more of a snap. Pressure is what makes the bullet move as the expanding gases are pushing on the bullet. Larger volume cases can work with less pressure, but contain more powder which burns longer pushing the bullet for a longer period of time giving more velocity with less pressure. The 45-70 holds 79 grains of H20 and the 500 holds 60-65 (not sure exactly). I guess you can think of it as like the burn of a rocket in space, as long as it is burning, it accelerates because it is being pushed. When it stops burning, in space, it just stays the same velocity, but the bullet slows down from friction.

This is just my understanding without getting all of the actual calculations and Newtonian physics Smile. I hope this makes sense.
Re: 45-70 VS 500 smith & wesson mag. [message #13093 is a reply to message #13092] Fri, 17 August 2012 10:54 Go to previous message
Sierra Ghost Hunter
If you go to reloading data it will give you the pressure of a certain load. The pressure is that of the gas pressure developed by the burning powder created to push a particular weight and diameter projectile out of a certain length barrel. Caliber has less to do with this than the weight of the bullet and capacity of the cartridge.
Always check the allowable working pressure of any action firearm before loading hotter rounds into it. This goes for T/C encores as well as any 6.8 spc barrel on the AR platform(tactical loads are much higher pressure)
Previous Topic: Calibers for Whitetail
Next Topic: looking for Value of Shotgun
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 18:02:42 EDT 2024