Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » DIY Gunsmithing » Encore Forend
Encore Forend [message #14539] Thu, 27 September 2012 14:29 Go to next message
Pcpharm is currently offline  Pcpharm
Novice Contributor
Encore Forearm
Hello everyone, I have been reading a lot of comments concerning how accuracy in the Encore system may be affected by attaching the forend directly to the barrel. I believe I understand how a floating barrel could be affected if the forend of the stock that is connected to the butt may limit the harmonics of the barrel as the bullet travels down the barrel. However, the forearm on an Encore is not connected to the butt stock. If you bed the forend, or attach a hanger bar to the barrel and then attach the forend to the hanger bar, you are still attaching the forend to the barrel. The barrel and the forend should float together. I am not sure how the above would differ compared to if you tighten the forend to the barrel each time with a torch wrench, to say 25 lb. I also understand that if the forend was made of wood that forend may be effected by the temperature and humidity. The wood may swell or shrink affecting the barrel harmonics. However, the composite forends used commonly on Encores these days, I would assume are minimally affected by either temperature or humidity. Finally, I understand that the forend for the barrel must not be in contact with the receiver. I will now set down and continue my education.
Re: Encore Forend [message #14639 is a reply to message #14539] Sun, 30 September 2012 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lepcur is currently offline  lepcur
Top Contributor
You bring up a lot of good points. I believe that as long as the synthetic forend is not putting side presure on the barrel you should be good to go. I have seen several of t/c s forends that hit on one side of the barrel and I relieve it by sanding to free float all of it except at the mounting points and haven't had any problems. Mike
Re: Encore Forend [message #14654 is a reply to message #14639] Sun, 30 September 2012 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
Working on that now. What method did you use to determine where the high points were? I tried baby powder on the barrel but no good. I would think carpenter's chalk might work.
PCP
Re: Encore Forend [message #14668 is a reply to message #14654] Mon, 01 October 2012 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
I use a stiff piece of paper like a business card and slide it around and along the barrel. I have 1 right now I'll work on tomorrow as I coated it and it hits on the left side towards the rear now. Mike
Re: Encore Forend [message #14697 is a reply to message #14668] Mon, 01 October 2012 20:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
Mike, when you say coat, what are you coating and why? Pete
Re: Encore Forend [message #14704 is a reply to message #14697] Mon, 01 October 2012 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
I usually coat the synthetic stocks with a texturized coating so it's not so slick. Mike
Re: Encore Forend [message #14718 is a reply to message #14704] Tue, 02 October 2012 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dave22250 is currently offline  dave22250
Some people say to put a rubber washer or grommet between foreend and stock for streching when barrel gets hot I really have'nt tryed that yet so don't know but I do make shore forearm is'nt touching sides of action.
Re: Encore Forend [message #15257 is a reply to message #14718] Sun, 21 October 2012 10:05 Go to previous message
Wilyote is currently offline  Wilyote
Novice Contributor
I have pillar bedded the forends with aluminum pillars, used epoxy to create pillars and rubber washers. Each method works, if you make sure there is no binding between the wood and any metal...where the stock joins the action is very critical. The wood must be sanded away to avoid any pinching. Break actions have their own issues, learn to live with them.

[Updated on: Sun, 21 October 2012 10:06]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Fitting Contender locking bolts.
Next Topic: Misfires with the Prohunter...solutions??
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 10:48:33 EDT 2024