Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » DIY Gunsmithing » Misfires with the Prohunter...solutions??
Misfires with the Prohunter...solutions?? [message #15126] Wed, 17 October 2012 18:19 Go to next message
bigbuck28 is currently offline  bigbuck28
Forum Newbie
I had a few 30-06 misfires the other day with some reloads so i thought i might have screwed something up.. Then today i had 3 misfires with Remingtons in 243.....
Anyone else have a simliar problem?

I saw on another site to replace the hammer spring with a 51lb spring..BUT I have a trigger job from E Arthur brown and dont want to mess that up as i have 3 other Prohunters with the same triggers. I did however remove the firing pin and clean it.

Any one with any advice?
Re: Misfires with the Prohunter...solutions?? [message #15127 is a reply to message #15126] Wed, 17 October 2012 18:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Does it do it with factory ammo in either of those two calibers? You didn't mention whether the .243's were factory or reloads.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: Misfires with the Prohunter...solutions?? [message #15130 is a reply to message #15127] Wed, 17 October 2012 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
hammer extensions can weaken springs a little quicker, and slow the hammer down due to the extra weight, both of which can cause light strikes; but then maybe you don't use one.
Re: Misfires with the Prohunter...solutions?? [message #15139 is a reply to message #15130] Wed, 17 October 2012 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
I have no hammer extensions and when i said Remington i meant factory Remington ammo.
Re: Misfires with the Prohunter...solutions?? [message #15150 is a reply to message #15139] Thu, 18 October 2012 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
If you had a trigger job done by EA Brown, I would give them a call.
Re: Misfires with the Prohunter...solutions?? [message #15155 is a reply to message #15150] Thu, 18 October 2012 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
I'm with rchatt, but since you have three other frames then try swapping the firing pin assemblies around and see if the problem continues. Just take an Allen wrench to the screw above the hammer to get them out.

If you do this, be very careful. The firing pin and spring are small, bounce a long way and aren't very well secured into the metal cylinder. I'm guessing you've already figured out how I know.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Misfires with the Prohunter...solutions?? [message #15156 is a reply to message #15150] Thu, 18 October 2012 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doyle is currently offline  Doyle
Forum Regular
I see three possibilities right up front.

1. Your firing pin channel has some gunk in it preventing the pin from hitting the primer hard. A good cleaning/relube will fix that.
2. Your hammer spring isn't up to snuff. Fix there is to add a stronger spring. It probably won't adversely affect your trigger job.
3. You have excessive headspace in those frame/barrel combinations. Fix for that is one of the shims that Bellm sells or since you reload, try not bumping your shoulders back so much - i.e. a slighly longer case sets the primer back closer to the breech face.
Re: Misfires with the Prohunter...solutions?? [message #15159 is a reply to message #15156] Thu, 18 October 2012 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
Ive cleaned the firing pin and was very careful not to lose any parts. Im waiting for a call back from bellm to see what he thinks about the swaping of the hammer springs/adverse affect of my trigger job. I may take those factory rounds that didn't fire and try em again to see if the good cleaning changed anything.
Re: Misfires with the Prohunter...solutions?? [message #15166 is a reply to message #15159] Thu, 18 October 2012 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Regular
Buck, while you're waiting from Bellm are you up for an experiment?

Take a bunch of those once fired rounds, clean them up and deprime. Now, measure them carefully and sort them according to shoulder length. Mark them well with a felt-tip pen. Take the longest ones and prime without resizing. Take the shorter ones and run them through the sizing die to bump the shoulder back ever so slightly at first, then some more with more bumping, etc. You see where I'm going with this? At some point, you'll have a few that have been bumped back to factory specks, and others with various lengths (that's where the good marking comes in). Now, see if your recently cleaned firing pin will fire all those primers. If it will consistently fire the longest cases but has trouble with the shortest then it shows you are looking at a headspace issue.

[Updated on: Thu, 18 October 2012 10:10]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Misfires with the Prohunter...solutions?? [message #15174 is a reply to message #15166] Thu, 18 October 2012 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
Just got off the phone with bellm, im going to be replacing the spring with a 41lb spring.
Come to think about it i doubt its a headspace issue because i have had misfires with 2 different barrels. Surely both barrels cant be incorrect, could they..

Doyle-I have no way of deprimeing without resizing..
Re: Misfires with the Prohunter...solutions?? [message #15195 is a reply to message #15174] Thu, 18 October 2012 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Only if you are very, very lucky

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Misfires with the Prohunter...solutions?? [message #15206 is a reply to message #15174] Fri, 19 October 2012 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Forum Regular
bigbuck28 wrote on Thu, 18 October 2012 16:16
Doyle-I have no way of deprimeing without resizing..

You would use your FL resizing die and back it way off so that the shoulders never get toughed.

However, I do think you are right that it isn't a headspace issue. As Crubear said, you would have to be pretty lucky (really?) to get two barrels with the same issue - although stranger things have happened. I hope that the stronger spring solves the problem completely for you.
Previous Topic: Encore Forend
Next Topic: Forearm screw size
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 11:27:46 EDT 2024