Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » DIY Gunsmithing » Encore problem (257 Roberts)
Encore problem [message #15999] Wed, 14 November 2012 18:48 Go to next message
buster is currently offline  buster
Forum Newbie
I recently purchased a 15in. 257Robert barrel,from another site, it was a new MGM barrel unfired. While shooting barrel had problems opening after firing, finally got open and it appears to be blowing primers out of casing. This was with Federal and Remington factory ammo,also lucky to hit paper with it.Looking for any ideas for this problem or cure. Thanks, Buster
Re: Encore problem [message #16005 is a reply to message #15999] Wed, 14 November 2012 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doyle is currently offline  Doyle
Forum Regular
Sounds like maybe excessive headspace. Check Mike Belm's sight for how to measure headspace on an Encore and what to do about one that is excessive.
Re: Encore problem [message #16010 is a reply to message #16005] Wed, 14 November 2012 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
That's not excessive headspace, it's excessive pressure. Stop shooting those rounds. Do the fired rounds easily slip back into the chamber after you've fired them?

Did the previous owner say anything about a tight necked chamber? Another possibility is you got a barrel with a very short throat and you've got the bullet pushed way up into the lands. Chamber a round, then open the frame and check the bullet for scratches.

I don't remember for sure, but I think MGM puts a serial number on their barrels, I'd call them and get their take on what's going on.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!

[Updated on: Wed, 14 November 2012 21:55]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Encore problem [message #16025 is a reply to message #16010] Thu, 15 November 2012 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
Excessive pressure generally causes flattening of the primers, as well as sticky extraction. You reported that it appears that it is blowing the primers out of the casing with two different brands of factory ammo. Can you post a pix of the back of the case showing the primer "as was" when you finally got the action to open and extract the round?

You also indicate that it's a custom MGM barrel, and you bought it unfired. I find it odd that someone would go through all the effort, time and expense to have a barrel made up, and then never even shoot it once. More like it was dumped because it was already known that there was something wrong with it. The barrel is "supposed to be" a .25 caliber. Does it actually measure out that way? Worst case scenario is a .25 caliber chamber, but a .243 caliber bore.
Seems to me, if memory serves correctly, isn't there "regular" .257 Roberts ammo, and also "+P"? If so, which factory rounds were you using?
Jim
Re: Encore problem [message #16038 is a reply to message #16025] Thu, 15 November 2012 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doyle is currently offline  Doyle
Forum Regular
Crubear, while I agree with you that it is pressure that is pushing the primers out (and I liked your detailed post on excessive pressure - great job) I don't think that it is "excessive" pressure in this case. He is using factory rounds. In my feeble mind, there should be no such thing as excessive pressure from a factory round - just an improperly sized chamber that allows pressure to be improperly contained and expelled. That is why I'm thinking excessive headspace (as in an overly long chamber).
Re: Encore problem [message #16043 is a reply to message #16038] Thu, 15 November 2012 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
I don't disagree with the headspace issue, I just focuses on the hard to open.

Could be the case is shoved in when the firing pin hits and forces the bullet into the lands and that's causing the pressure spike. Hmmm.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Encore problem [message #16046 is a reply to message #16043] Thu, 15 November 2012 19:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kc2htv is currently offline  kc2htv
Forum Regular
I agree with excessive gas expansion, and will take it a little further. Both off center chamber, a long or burred land. Either way to fire it is not an option... Sent it to a Smith and have it checked properly... Just a for what its worth...
Rick

The barter system is alive and well, but the learning curve can be painful.

Certified NYS Hunter Safety Instructor.
Certified NYS Bow Hunter Safety Instructor.
Re: Encore problem [message #16058 is a reply to message #16046] Fri, 16 November 2012 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Hey Buster. from any direction we all agree you do have a problem. MGM is an outstanding company (in my experience) with very good quality products and want to keep it's customers happy. Give them a call and let us know how it goes please.

Re: Encore problem [message #16064 is a reply to message #16058] Fri, 16 November 2012 12:13 Go to previous message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
I was on the phone with MGM a month or so ago, trying to order a barrel, and DIDN'T have a very good experience at all. First off, "Jerry" who used to be the "honcho" is no longer with them. Secondly, I had to have "Missi" close the office door because there was so much yelling, screaming, cussing and fighting going on out in the shop, I couldn't even hear her. I've also had friends that had well less than stellar dealings with them, especially with one of the machinists who was working on his order.
That convinced me I didn't want them working on anything for me. Mike Bellm sent me to them for an unchambered barrel and after my experience with them, he changed his recommendation of them. That leaves me looking for another custom barrel maker, which sucks.
Jim
Previous Topic: Needed Encore Parts
Next Topic: Rear sight height question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 18:58:16 EDT 2024