Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » General Conversation » Question (SBR(Short Barreled Rifle))
Question [message #16236] Fri, 23 November 2012 17:40 Go to next message
BigBG76 is currently offline  BigBG76
Forum Newbie
New to the Thompson world!
Does a Thompson have to be registered as a SBR(Short Barreled Rifle) if you leave the rifle stock on and install a 12" or 15" barrel?
If it makes a difference I live in Missouri.
Re: Question [message #16241 is a reply to message #16236] Fri, 23 November 2012 19:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

Big
I am sure that others will chime in to help clear this up but I do know that it is against federal law to have a shoulder stock on a gun with a barrel shorter than 16 inches. That is if you live in Missouri or anywhere else. I am not sure about registering it as a short barrel rifle.
I live in Missouri also.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: Question [message #16244 is a reply to message #16241] Fri, 23 November 2012 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
I've never heard of anyone spending the money to register an Encore as a SBR, but to answer your question - YES - If you attached a barrel under 16" to one with a stock on it, you have just created an SBR and would be in violation of Federal Law if you don't have it registered as such.

It does not make any difference that you are in Missouri (or any other state). Federal law is 16" minimum for a rifle barrel.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: Question [message #16248 is a reply to message #16244] Sat, 24 November 2012 09:09 Go to previous message
BigBG76 is currently offline  BigBG76
Forum Newbie
Thank you gentlemen! The way I was reading, that is what I thought.
Previous Topic: newbie question
Next Topic: pachmayer encore grip?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 04:48:19 EDT 2024