Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » General Conversation » Amusing Hunting Stories - Place them here!
Re: Amusing Hunting Stories - Place them here! [message #23783 is a reply to message #16282] Mon, 19 August 2013 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
se3388 is currently offline  se3388
Forum Newbie
We were both to scared to shoot, I guess it could have eaten us both, we didn't have bears in that part of Mississippi.

mrmurl

I'm in West Plains.

Steve............

Just bought 2 Encore frames back in the mid 90's or so.

NRA Patron Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life member
Re: Amusing Hunting Stories - Place them here! [message #31012 is a reply to message #23783] Thu, 01 May 2014 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
deet8203 is currently offline  deet8203
Novice Contributor
Not a great hunting story, but more of a reason why I am going to use a 30/30 TC contender this year on Indiana deer. I have hunted for 45 years and killed a lot of game over those years. I have used 44mag, .357 mag, 12 ga, 20 ga, 30/30, ,270, 30-06, and probably several others that I am forgetting. The rifle calibers were used in Michigan. Of all the deer I have shot not one ever went more than 60 yards after being hit. I attribute that to the fact I know where to shoot them, I never shoot one that is out of my range, and I am an experienced enough hunter to use patience.
Then November 2013 deer season happened. In Indiana we can use shotgun slugs, pistols .243 caliber bullets or larger, and rifles that are chambered for pistol caliber rounds (44mag. .357mag, 460, 45colt, 454 etc. I was using a single shot 44 mag rifle in 2013. That gun was dead accurate and the round 240gr jhp also worked well. This day a young buck was chasing a doe about 50 yards from me, I took aim and fired. The buck looked up and stopped. I quickly reloaded and fired a second shot at him as he started to walk away, he just kept moving. I said to myself I must of missed him. As I reloaded a third shot he disappeared into the woods. I began to wait the usual 30 minutes before tracking, I ate lunch, and continued to grunt for him on my buck call every 5 minutes or so. 20 minutes later he appeared on my right side about 50 yards away from me. He disappeared on my left side about 20 minutes earlier. I could clearly see his left side, but saw no exit wounds whatever. The only sign was his front legs were very shaky, I knew it was my buck and took aim at his liver (his chest was behind a tree) I hit him hard, he bucked and ran 20 yards and fell by a tree. I waited 5 minutes and he never moved. I went to retrieve him and when I got 10 yards away he lifted his head, I then put round #4 into his heart. Hunt was over. First time I have ever shot anything that needed 4 shots to expire. I hated that 44 mag, it made me very mad that day. When we got the small buck home (135# buck) we located the first two shots. Both were 1 inch apart and under his fur on his left shoulder. When I field dressed him, his lungs were pretty much destroyed. Shot 1,2 both hit and were in a good location. Yet this buck just walked away. I went to the location were I first shot him, and I walked the trail were he came back to me and both were bloodless, not a spot anywhere. If this buck didn't circle around and come back to me, I doubt that I would of been able to track him. I am going to use a 30/30 this year because it is as hard hitting or more as a 44 mag, and I believe it will be easier to pass thru a deer, which in turn will give me a blood trail to follow. I owe it to the buck and myself to end his life quickly and mercifully.
Re: Amusing Hunting Stories - Place them here! [message #31017 is a reply to message #31012] Thu, 01 May 2014 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
Dean,
You're always welcome to come out and hunt my place. I have both Mule Deer and Whitetails so you can take your pick.
Jim
Re: Amusing Hunting Stories - Place them here! [message #31020 is a reply to message #31017] Fri, 02 May 2014 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
deet8203 is currently offline  deet8203
Novice Contributor
Thanks James, great offer if I ever get out west I might take you up on your offer.
Re: Amusing Hunting Stories - Place them here! [message #34689 is a reply to message #31020] Mon, 15 December 2014 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
Hey Deet, I have 3 words for you, "hard cast lead". A hard cast lead is going to punch through and leave a good blood trail.
Re: Amusing Hunting Stories - Place them here! [message #37605 is a reply to message #34689] Wed, 11 March 2015 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stacyleegabbard is currently offline  stacyleegabbard
Novice Contributor
This past November. I drove my Father to Kentucky. He goes ever year and hunts with His family and friends. My Father is 84 years old and I decided he is to old to drive that far by his self any more. On the first day we arrived we scouted for me a place to hunt. I decided to hunt the same area as I did in 2003 when I hunted with them. We set up his ground blind and went back to our hosts house. Later 2 young fellows that hunt the farm came by and showed us the pictures from trail camera's. They had several trophy deer on the farm. One was a 12 pointer with at least a 23 inch spread and tall antlers. One had a 5 inch drop tine on the right side, he was an eight pointer. Another was big double main beam buck. Knowing all toughs trophy's where around told me I wouldn't shoot the first buck I saw. Opening day I passed on a beautiful 7 pointer. I saw several other smaller bucks that day. I hunted 3 times a day. Each day I saw several bucks, but no trophies. On the 3rd day the double main beam buck showed up and I put him down with my Weatherby Vandguard 270. It got to cold for my Father and his brother to hunt so I hunted by my self. In the 7 days that I hunted. I had 2o deer walk by me 15 yards from my stand. Of the 20 deer 10 of them where bucks ranging from spikes to 8 pointers. I shot a doe with a 44 spl. S&W and lost her. She was shoulder shot with no exit wound. I trailed her for over 200 yards with very little blood trail. The deer got to close to other people hunting area and it was agreed by all to leave her. All said they would dispatch her if the seen her. We tracked her for 2 days. That's why I bought my new TC pistol, now I have a better choice of caliber's to hunt with. I now have a 44 mag. barrel, 243 barrel, 30-06 pistol barrel and a 30-06 rifle barrel. I don't think I have ever had such an exciting hunt especialy with my Father. I'll add some picture someday when I master it.
Re: Amusing Hunting Stories - Place them here! [message #43700 is a reply to message #37605] Sat, 23 December 2017 21:27 Go to previous message
zombiehuntclub is currently offline  zombiehuntclub
Forum Newbie
My cousin and I did a pig hunt with Ted Nugent back in October. We had a blast. A co worker of mine went as well. He and I had done a pig hunt down in Alabama several years ago.

I had wanted to take one with a bow but an eye surgery a few weeks before we went forced me to use a 20" AR15 instead. Jeff, my co worker, used a WW2 era 1911 pistol. My cousin-in-law used his TC Pro Hunter muzzleloader.

Each of us harvested a fine pig. The fact that we all used such different weapons made for some great conversation on our 10-hour drive home.

[Updated on: Sat, 23 December 2017 21:46]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Legal conversations...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:54:09 EDT 2024