Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » DIY Gunsmithing » Chasing wild geese (Am I too picky?)
Chasing wild geese [message #16529] Sat, 01 December 2012 19:35 Go to next message
wallypedal is currently offline  wallypedal
Forum Newbie
I'm curious and can't keep from tinkering. On my Encore, the hinge pin stays tight in the barrel lug, and moves in the frame. I'm thinking that's normal since there is more contact mass in the lug. For years, I've been seeing used Encore barrels advertised with "the usual" marks from contacting the frame. I got to wondering how that happens. I think the frame does a little side-to-side moving on the hinge pin, since at least on mine the pin is already moving in the frame when the action is open. Yep! Sure enough, I can force the frame to move on the pin. So I took some shim stock and made shims to go on the hinge pin between the frame and the barrel lug. It took .003" on each side. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. My groups have been pretty good, but usually have had more horizontal spread than vertical.
Wondering, has anyone else been this anal, or is it just me? Laughing If so, did it make any difference?
Wallypedal
Re: Chasing wild geese [message #16550 is a reply to message #16529] Sun, 02 December 2012 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

Wally actually I have thought doing that very thing. I have not done it yet because of time constraints and the fact that mine shoot better than I can. Would like to know if it does tighten your groups.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: Chasing wild geese [message #16563 is a reply to message #16550] Sun, 02 December 2012 14:22 Go to previous message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Hmmm, now that's an interesting solution

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Previous Topic: Rear sight height question
Next Topic: Spent Casing not ejecting
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 00:16:51 EDT 2024