Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » General Conversation » Another Greenhorn
Another Greenhorn [message #16541] Sat, 01 December 2012 22:32 Go to next message
Jeepin Bowhunter is currently offline  Jeepin Bowhunter
Forum Newbie
I have been lurking in the background for a couple of weeks. I just bought a used like new Encore 209/50 in weathershield with the composite stock and mounted a Leupold 2x7 on it. I have run 50 rounds through it, and I can't wait to go burn more powder. Smile I have been playing with Barnes Spit-Fire T-EZ sabots in 250 and 290 grain pushing them out the barrel with Blackhorn loads ranging from 90 to 110 grain. It seems to like most anything I throw at it. Right now I've settled on the 250's with a 100 grain charge 2 1/2 inches high at 50. I had the scope zeroed at 100 with 1" groups, but the scope rings loosend up so it was back to the bench for a session today.

I am liking this site way too much. I need a few recommendations.

1. Best rings and bases to use. It has Weaver rings that I already do not like.
2. Anyone have a review on the Revolution laminate thumbhole stocks? Looks like Stocky's, Cabelas, and EABCO carry them to name a few.
3. My hingepin seems tight. Bellem seems to be the go to sight for trigger and hammer springs right?

Thanks guys
JB

Life's to short to hunt with an ugly gun.

[Updated on: Sat, 01 December 2012 22:38]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Another Greenhorn [message #16542 is a reply to message #16541] Sat, 01 December 2012 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
1. I'm hooked on the one-piece base/rings setup by Talley. I have them on most of my Encore setups. I just got a DNZ one-piece base/rings setup that I like too, but I haven't shot that rifle yet, so I cannot tell you if they hold up like the Talley's do. But they do look just as strong, and just as nice. I got tired of jacking around with rings not being just right, but haven't had to worry since switching to the Talley's. Well worth the money. I use mediums on most everything that I have a 3-9x40 scope on.

2) I had one of the Cayenne colored laminate thumbhole stocks from Stocky's. I liked it a lot. It had a thinner middle grip area with a slightly bigger base on the pistol grip portion than the laminate thumbhole stock I got from the T/C Custom shop. I actually preferred the one from Stocky's because of that. I regret selling that .25-06 rifle, but needed the money for another project at the time. She was a beauty. Here is the comparison:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/cajuntec/Firearm%20pictures/DSCF1315.jpg

I'd really like to get the "purple haze" color for my wife's rifle, but I have to admit, I like that color combination too:

http://www.revolutionstocks.com/thompsoncenterstocks/

3. Bellm. Yep.

Welcome to the site!

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: Another Greenhorn [message #16548 is a reply to message #16541] Sun, 02 December 2012 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

Welcome to the best T/C site around. I have to say that I have never been into black powder, but there is a large following here. Pull up a chair set in and mind your wallet this place has a way of getting into it. You may not loose weight but your wallet will. Welcome and enjoy.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: Another Greenhorn [message #16558 is a reply to message #16548] Sun, 02 December 2012 13:39 Go to previous message
Jeepin Bowhunter is currently offline  Jeepin Bowhunter
Forum Newbie
Thanks for the input Glenn. That comparison picture helps a lot. I'm probably going with the brown and black or the green camo. On the rings, that is exactly what I am looking for. The gun had a cheap scope on it when I got it, and I had the dealer swap on the Leupold. I had a mental lapse and did not swap out the rings.

Thanks again
Kevin

Life's to short to hunt with an ugly gun.
Previous Topic: NEW
Next Topic: Hello Everyone
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 11:12:53 EDT 2024