Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Reloading » 308 Rifle woes (308 Rifle)
308 Rifle woes [message #16704] Thu, 06 December 2012 21:11 Go to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
I have a 26" Encore 308 barrel. I have had a fit getting it to shoot good groups. Called TC and they told me to send the barrel to them. They sent me a new barrel. I tried some of the same loads from before as well as some that shoot wonderfully in other guns, still can't get it to be consistent. It will put 2 bullets touching and then 1 2" away (not always that bad). I am starting to think it is me since it has done this on 2 barrels. Here is what I have tried.

3 different scopes
free floated forearm
always rest on forearm closest to the receiver when shooting
installed TC adjustable hinge pin
I have one of the TC solid scope bases and I used blue thread locker on the screws.

I have only used RL15 powder as it is wonderful in my brothers Savage 308 (1/2 MOA or better) and my AR10 (1.25 MOA).

Here are the bullets I have tried with various amounts of RL15 in each load:
165 SST
168 BTHP Hornady
150 SST
180 Speer BTSP

There is no telling how much money has gone down the barrel trying to find a good load. It has been quite frustrating.

I just can't find a load that it likes. Has anyone else had an issue like this? Does this barrel like light bullets, heavy bullets, fast or slow loads (near minimum or near max).

I use this same receiver on my 15" .270 which shoots submoa and did use it for a 15" .223 barrel that would do near 1/2 moa. All of which I handload myself.

If it means anything, I haven't had very good luck with the 28" PH .50 BP barrel either, it isn't very accurate for my taste, 2" group at best and have tried triple 7 pellets and various loads with BH209.

I do use the same stock for both .308 and .50.

Any suggestions/help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Re: 308 Rifle woes [message #16705 is a reply to message #16704] Thu, 06 December 2012 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dave22250 is currently offline  dave22250
Rc,It says your only using RE15 powder,try using another powder,I like RE15 in certain guns have'nt tried in a 308 yet but I'm shooting 15 in.also you said you free floated the barrel,did you check to see if it is touching the reciever also,and are you trying to load off the lands at all,try differant distances from the lands,every gun is differant,and the TCs make me want to pull what little hair I have out,they are different animals,try something different it sometimes works,some old loads that shot in some of my rifles I can't group consistant in my TCs.
Re: 308 Rifle woes [message #16709 is a reply to message #16705] Thu, 06 December 2012 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Regular
I have not reloaded off the lands on this one. I was hoping that I could use the same load I used in other guns, but doesn't look like that is going to happen. I will get a measurement and see how far out to seat it. That is one thing about the break opens, real easy to measure for that. Will also check on the forearm touching the frame. Was going to try out a pistol length forearm with only 1 screw and see if it helps. Thing is, after I do all of that stuff, then I am back to trying several different loads that I have already tried. More money down the tube. I love to shoot, but when it won't shoot well, it irritates me.

edit:
I take that back, the last round of loads, I did seat just off the lands. It didn't help me.

[Updated on: Sat, 08 December 2012 16:09]

Report message to a moderator

Re: 308 Rifle woes [message #16723 is a reply to message #16709] Fri, 07 December 2012 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wallypedal is currently offline  wallypedal
Forum Newbie
rchatting wrote on Thu, 06 December 2012 19:58
I have not reloaded off the lands on this one. I was hoping that I could use the same load I used in other guns, but doesn't look like that is going to happen. I will get a measurement and see how far out to seat it. That is one thing about the break opens, real easy to measure for that. Will also check on the forearm touching the frame. Was going to try out a pistol length forearm with only 1 screw and see if it helps. Thing is, after I do all of that stuff, then I am back to trying several different loads that I have already tried. More money down the tube. I love to shoot, but when it won't shoot well, it irritates me.

Is it always the first two touching, then the last out? Have you measured barrel to frame gap and actual space between case head and firing pin bushing? Case head clearance (actual headspace) can be too much or too little. The pistol forearm sounds like a good idea to try, I have had issues with the two hole spacing, heating up, etc. It would be good to verify.

Every bullet you have tried has been a boattail type, I think. Some rifles like flat base bullets better. Sometimes that is an indicator of muzzle crown problems.

The specific harmonics using one powder, even with different bullets, is a limiting factor. The suggestion to try a different powder is a good one.

The T/C solid scope base sounds good. Are the base screws the correct type and length? I had a pile of screws and didn't look closely enough - some were tapered seat and some flat and I mixed them up..

I feel your pain. My 7-08 barrel was totally inconsistent for a long time and a lot of components. Since I used the shotgun approach to problem solving, I'm not sure what all made it better, but it shoots OK now. I will look in my notes and make a list of all I did. Hope you get it figured out! Let us know.
Re: 308 Rifle woes [message #16728 is a reply to message #16723] Fri, 07 December 2012 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Regular
Well, this is the second barrel, so doubt the crown is the issue, it looked good on both barrels anyway. I am thinking headspace isn't the issue (again, 2 different barrels as well as the pistol barrels shoot great). Might have to try some flat base bullets, don't have any of those in .308 yet. Guess I will be buying some powder to try, any suggestions? The only ones I keep on hand are, RL15, H380, H335, H322, H4831SC, RL22. I think H335 may be the only one that I have data for in .308. Shoot, I have 6 different calibers in 7 different guns dialed in with RL15, so been trying to stick with it, but I am open to options if they work. Smile

One thing I haven't tried is neck sizing. I have stayed away from that because I wanted to use the same loads in my AR-10. Guess I am going to have to load specific for the encore so neck sizing may be the fix, will just have to keep my neck sized and FL labeled well. That should take care of any head space issue if there is one.

What I would like to know is has anyone developed a load for the encore in 26" bbl that gave consistent sub-moa groups, what powder, what bullet?

Thanks
Re: 308 Rifle woes [message #16753 is a reply to message #16728] Fri, 07 December 2012 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

I have a 24" barrel and have had great luck with loads using IMR 3031 and a 150 grain flat base soft point Sierra bullet. Can't remember the powder weight, had them from a rifle many years ago and they shot sub-MOA in this barrel just by chance. The powder weight was at least a full grain below max load though. I am about out of those cartridges so will have to start over with new powder and bullets. That is part of the fun of owning and shooting guns. Finding what makes them work the way you want them too. I will spend a good deal of time next summer and early fall finding a new load, because I only have five shells left of this load. That should be five deers, but better to have a backup plan in force. Good luck and hope you find something that works for your gun.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: 308 Rifle woes [message #16775 is a reply to message #16753] Sat, 08 December 2012 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Regular
I thought I was going to have to go and buy some 150 flat base bullets and then realized that I picked up a box of them from MidwayUSA on their blemished sale a month or so back. I will give them a try.
Re: 308 Rifle woes [message #16777 is a reply to message #16775] Sat, 08 December 2012 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
Do you always just shoot three-shot groups? Real careful and easy on it by lots of cool-down time, etc? Barrel isn't going to warm up much with the first shot. Do the first two almost always almost touch, then the third maybe 1/2 to 1" high? Ever do a 5 shot group, almost as quickly as you can, keeping to fundamentals of course? What about a 10 shot string, 5 fairly quick, then 5 more maybe with a 2-4 min break between the two 5 shot strings?
Jim
Re: 308 Rifle woes [message #16778 is a reply to message #16777] Sat, 08 December 2012 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Regular
It is pretty random, real hard to tell exactly how and when it is going to throw one.

However, I may be on to something, just discovered that the forearm that came with my barrel wasn't tightening down on the front screw. The screw was protruding out too much so when I thought it was tight, it was actually moving around. So I added a washer, it is snug now. Also, after it was snug, I noticed the bottom of the forearm was hitting the frame when opening. So, I am thinking that since the forearm wasn't tightened down, when you opened the frame, it moved the forearm just enough to affect where it was touching the barrel. I did a bit of work on the forearm so it doesn't hit it now. So, going to hit the range soon and see if I see any improvement. That sounds like a good solution to me, we will have to see if it pans out. Wish me luck.

Thanks.
Re: 308 Rifle woes [message #16781 is a reply to message #16778] Sat, 08 December 2012 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
You have to watch out for forend screws being too long. If you then kida grief on them, they've bottomed out in the dovetail lock agasinst the barrel itself, and can "pry" the locks enough where they're loose. You never want the screws to actually bottom out, but tighten up a little away from the bottom of the dovetail milled into the barrel for the locks. All my barrels have there own forend, and it's always on the barrel whether the barrel is mounted to the frame or not. That ensures no lost dovetail locks, and no missing screw, as well as a screw that fits properly. My Contender 14's front screws are sling swivels anyway.
Jim

Hey good luck at the range. Hope problem licked!!
Re: 308 Rifle woes [message #16785 is a reply to message #16781] Sun, 09 December 2012 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wallypedal is currently offline  wallypedal
Forum Newbie
Now I remember what inspired me to pillar bed the PH plastic forend. It didn't matter what washers I had, or what torque I used, the screws would loosen up. I went from squashing plastic to having screws too long. Pillars fixed it.
Re: 308 Rifle woes [message #16795 is a reply to message #16781] Sun, 09 December 2012 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Forum Regular
jamesgammel wrote on Sat, 08 December 2012 18:42
You have to watch out for forend screws being too long. If you then kida grief on them, they've bottomed out in the dovetail lock agasinst the barrel itself, and can "pry" the locks enough where they're loose. You never want the screws to actually bottom out, but tighten up a little away from the bottom of the dovetail milled into the barrel for the locks. All my barrels have there own forend, and it's always on the barrel whether the barrel is mounted to the frame or not. That ensures no lost dovetail locks, and no missing screw, as well as a screw that fits properly. My Contender 14's front screws are sling swivels anyway.
Jim

Hey good luck at the range. Hope problem licked!!

This is an encore, no dovetail locks. Smile
Previous Topic: load data for 375 H&H
Next Topic: 7mm-08 Encore barrel
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 12:06:30 EDT 2024