Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Reloading » 308 Rifle woes (308 Rifle)
Re: 308 Rifle woes [message #16796 is a reply to message #16785] Sun, 09 December 2012 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
wallypedal wrote on Sun, 09 December 2012 08:22
Now I remember what inspired me to pillar bed the PH plastic forend. It didn't matter what washers I had, or what torque I used, the screws would loosen up. I went from squashing plastic to having screws too long. Pillars fixed it.

Hmm, might be an idea. It came to me this way I think so it seems that the previous owner may have been the one to squash the plastic.
Re: 308 Rifle woes [message #17159 is a reply to message #16796] Tue, 18 December 2012 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jingles is currently offline  jingles
Forum Newbie
I bought the 308 this summer and have put all kind of factory ammo through it and am seeing the same thing as you. I cant believe I sunk 800bucks into buying this gun and it shoots so poorly. I guess its a good way to learn about the gun. I am going to do the head space shimming and hope that improves accuracy. if that doesnt solve it i may buy a different caliber barrel. I have just started reloading and all the brass has to be trimmed???After one shooting

telecaster
Re: 308 Rifle woes [message #17163 is a reply to message #17159] Tue, 18 December 2012 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
Jingles,
after doing the shimming you may still have problems. Reloading wshould help. Read the next posting below this one, "guide to reloading bottleneck cases............." The combo of the two should completely cure your issues; if not, you may have to return your barrel to T/C for a replacement.
BTW, once stretched (if in head area) those cases are basically toast and really shouldn't be re-used.
Jim
Re: 308 Rifle woes [message #17493 is a reply to message #17163] Thu, 27 December 2012 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Regular
I found a load the barrel seems to like, only problem is, when firing a cold barrel, the first round is 2-3" high at 100 and then it settles down and shoots sub-moa. Anyone else experienced this? What can be done to keep it from doing that? I have other rifles that are much cheaper and they don't do that.
Re: 308 Rifle woes [message #17501 is a reply to message #17493] Fri, 28 December 2012 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
one shot 2-3 high then drops and clusters, or after several shots gradually drops and then clusters? If the second scenario, it might suggest that the barrel wasn't adequately stress-relieved.
Other possibility: do you clean after each shooting session? Some barrels like a "fouler" shot before settling down, your barrel might be one of them.
Jim
Re: 308 Rifle woes [message #17504 is a reply to message #17501] Fri, 28 December 2012 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

I have a Belm Bergara barrel that takes four fouler shots and then settles down and shoots sub-moa after that. Each barrel is different. I have a T/C 308 stainless that shoots a fouler and the four into a cluster much like the one you have. I have a 223 T/C barrel that has probably 2500 rounds through it and still shoots 5/8 groups cold but gets better as it warms up. Just have to go out and foul your barrel before you take it hunting. That's what I do, foul, hunt, and clean and put it away. Just have to learn what your barrel will do and go with it. Enjoy.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: 308 Rifle woes [message #17571 is a reply to message #17504] Sat, 29 December 2012 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Regular
Well, the extend of my cleaning unless it is really dirty is 2 passes of a bore snake with Remoil on it. I guess I will try shooting the fouler and letting the bbl cool down to ambient temp and then shooting to see if that is it. Thanks.
Re: 308 Rifle woes [message #18722 is a reply to message #17571] Fri, 25 January 2013 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hendeSt1 is currently offline  hendeSt1
Forum Newbie
I too have a T/C in a .308 that I fought for years and many $$ trying to get it to at least be consistent. I stayed in pretty close contact with Mike Bellm who was a good source of help/troubleshoting. I sent my first barrel back which T/C replaced then;
1) 1X oversized hinge pin.
2) Pillar bedded the stock
3) Trigger reworked by Mike Bellm
4) hand loads, and checking the head space. Sierra 150 Gr. Prohunters, over 41.5 gr. of 4895
5) Installed a muzzle break (biggest improvement)
6) 1 Piece scope base, and a good scope, got rid of the junk.
7) Let the barrel cool enough during your strings, heat would cause my vertical stringing.
I can now say that many years of frustration and work it is now shooting very consistent 3/4 to 1" groups.
I also had a Bergarra barrel in 7mm-08 that I couldnt get to shoot, I think the muzzle brake and locking springs were the biggest improvement.
Hope this helps,

Steve Henderson
Newbie to forum
Re: 308 Rifle woes [message #18723 is a reply to message #18722] Fri, 25 January 2013 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doyle is currently offline  Doyle
Forum Regular
Quote:
Well, the extend of my cleaning unless it is really dirty is 2 passes of a bore snake with Remoil on it

We may be on to something here. Are you drying out the barrel before your first shot at the range? If you've oiled your bore, then that oil is going to affect the first shot far more than subsequent shots. Next time you go to the range, start out by giving it a couple of passes with a totally dry patch and see what happens to the first few shots.

Re: 308 Rifle woes [message #18772 is a reply to message #18723] Sat, 26 January 2013 11:28 Go to previous message
Forum Regular
Doyle wrote on Fri, 25 January 2013 08:35
Quote:
Well, the extend of my cleaning unless it is really dirty is 2 passes of a bore snake with Remoil on it

We may be on to something here. Are you drying out the barrel before your first shot at the range? If you've oiled your bore, then that oil is going to affect the first shot far more than subsequent shots. Next time you go to the range, start out by giving it a couple of passes with a totally dry patch and see what happens to the first few shots.

I'll have to give it a shot. However, I treat all of my guns/barrels this way and this is the only one that is giving me a problem. I am of the opinion, if the others aren't having this problem, then it has to have something to do with this particular barrel/setup.
Previous Topic: load data for 375 H&H
Next Topic: 7mm-08 Encore barrel
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 09:45:21 EDT 2024