Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Changing the stock questions (Help)
Changing the stock questions [message #1411] Tue, 13 April 2010 20:31 Go to next message
rbailey13 is currently offline  rbailey13
Forum Newbie
So I just got an encore (my first one). I bought it used at Scheels for what I thought was a great price (395.00). It is tight, looks new, but came with a 7mm-08 barrel (great round, I have a savage in that round) and wanted to change to a 204 Ruger and a youth stock. So I got my stock and barrel today. I installed the barrel without any problems but now comes the stock. The draw down bolt for the stock won't seat all the way. I checked the bolt that was in the gun and both are the same length. Using a flash light and looking down the hole into the frame there is a rod and a spring. The spring looks like the draw down bolt will fit inside of it, but the rod is in the center of the hole. Would anyone have any ideas what I'm doing wrong? The rod seems to move with the hammer. Looking for ideas. Thanks guys, Rob
Re: Changing the stock questions [message #1412 is a reply to message #1411] Tue, 13 April 2010 21:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Claysshotgunner is currently offline  Claysshotgunner
Novice Contributor
Different stocks and grip can use different length bolts. You can cut it off or buy a shorter one at a hardware store
Re: Changing the stock questions [message #1413 is a reply to message #1412] Tue, 13 April 2010 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
THe problem that I'm having is the bolt that was in the stock it came with (which was tight) is the same length as the bolt that I'm using. So both bolts are the same, could it be T/C sent the wrong bolt with the new stock?
Re: Changing the stock questions [message #1414 is a reply to message #1413] Wed, 14 April 2010 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
littleking is currently offline  littleking
Forum Admin

can you post a picture of what your talking about? i've NEVER had any issue with bolt lengths..
Re: Changing the stock questions [message #1415 is a reply to message #1414] Wed, 14 April 2010 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
The real problem I have had at times was using a rifle stock bolt in a pistol grip. The bolt was too long and bound up the hammer where it would not cock. This was more than once, but not always.
Re: Changing the stock questions [message #1416 is a reply to message #1411] Wed, 14 April 2010 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
I took another look at it today, and the bolt is too long due to the depth of the hole in the new stock. The old stock the bolt came through and threaded into the action about 1/2 inch. on the new stock the bolt come out about 1 inch. A 1/2 inch shorter bolt should do the trick. Thank you for all the good information. Also i haven't measured the bolt yet, but it looks to be 5/16 18 tpi. Does that sound right?
Re: Changing the stock questions [message #1418 is a reply to message #1416] Wed, 14 April 2010 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
Not sure on bolt size right now, but you might consider using a spacer of some sort. I had one I bought that had three washers on it.

[Updated on: Wed, 14 April 2010 11:52]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Changing the stock questions [message #1423 is a reply to message #1418] Thu, 15 April 2010 11:05 Go to previous message
Forum Newbie
The bolt size is 1/4 by 20 tpi. A new 1 1/2 inch bolt cured my problem. The cost was .63 cents. Thanks again to all that helped.
Rob
Previous Topic: TC ENCORE PRO HUNTER
Next Topic: Load for 375 JDJ
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 20:37:52 EDT 2024