Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » General Conversation » 2x or 4x
2x or 4x [message #17349] Sun, 23 December 2012 19:41 Go to next message
jotjackson is currently offline  jotjackson
Novice Contributor
Going to buy a new scope for my Encore pistol. No shot longer than 100 yards from a shooting house rest. Which would be better?

Jerry W. Jackson
Re: 2x or 4x [message #17352 is a reply to message #17349] Sun, 23 December 2012 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
depends on what you're after. Small groups, go with 4x. Lower price is 2x.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: 2x or 4x [message #17376 is a reply to message #17352] Mon, 24 December 2012 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

CruBear has it just about pinpointed. Smaller groups = higher power. If in the shooting house you will have plenty of time to prepare for the shot, then I would suggest the higher power. If you are in anyway going to be hurried, then the lower power would be better. A higher power scope makes it hard to pick up the target even in a less hurried situation. Hope this has been of some help.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: 2x or 4x [message #17392 is a reply to message #17376] Tue, 25 December 2012 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
So, in actuallity...what we're really saying is break down and get a good variable 2-6. that way you have the best of everything Wink

Unless of course you're into really small groups, then the Burris 3-12 is the way to go.... although I'm leaning toward trying out a rifle scope in my 22LR pistol barrel

Decisions, decisions, decisions

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: 2x or 4x [message #17395 is a reply to message #17392] Tue, 25 December 2012 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
Rich,
He listed a Bushnell 2-6 Elite for sale here before asking this question. I thought the same as you, and was curious as to why he listed the 2-6. Apparantly something about it didn't sit right with him, but wasn't any of my business to ask.
Jim
Re: 2x or 4x [message #17401 is a reply to message #17395] Tue, 25 December 2012 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
I've had a couple variables I didn't like either. The Leupold 2.5-8x (another I wish I still had) or the Burris 3-12x are what I'll be looking for in the future.

Re: 2x or 4x [message #17403 is a reply to message #17401] Tue, 25 December 2012 19:50 Go to previous message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
Ditto on the 3-12 Burris, I'd like to get another one for a 2nd project barrel. Just wish Burris would finally come out with a Posi-Loc version, but don't look like that's gonna happen. Been holding my breath for years now and about to bust.
Jim
Previous Topic: Tell me it isn't so!
Next Topic: Tough year...........But a good year
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 22:39:50 EDT 2024