Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » good aftermarket barrels??
good aftermarket barrels?? [message #1484] Thu, 29 April 2010 22:59 Go to next message
evansperf is currently offline  evansperf
Forum Newbie
what do most encore owners shoot when looking for better accurcy?
I saw the barrels that match grade machine offers and they look pretty good but wonder about how well they will auctually shoot?
Re: good aftermarket barrels?? [message #1485 is a reply to message #1484] Fri, 30 April 2010 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
littleking is currently offline  littleking
Forum Admin

I use the factory barrels and get excellent accuracy
Re: good aftermarket barrels?? [message #2142 is a reply to message #1484] Tue, 26 October 2010 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Flexwing man is currently offline  Flexwing man
Forum Newbie
evansperf wrote on Thu, 29 April 2010 21:59
what do most encore owners shoot when looking for better accurcy?
I saw the barrels that match grade machine offers and they look pretty good but wonder about how well they will auctually shoot?

I've had barrels made from Bullberry and MGM. I cannot say enough good things about MGM. I'm a fan of Shilen barrels and that's what they use for blanks. I just had them make a 24" 44 magnum bull barrel for an Encore Pro hunter rifle. It puts 5 shots in one ragged hole at 100 yards consistently. The headspace, chamber size, and throat are perfectly done and it shows. They also rechambered a new Bullberry barrel to 444 Marlin for me. MGM does great work and are easy to talk to. I've had issues with Bullberry. 4 out of 4 different 44 magnum barrels made by Bullberry had chambers that were too tight despite me asking them not to cut them that tight. I'm actually going to try to sell the 444 Marlin barrel with a new Leupold scope, rings, and hanger bar forearm. It too is a great shooter, with less than 50 rounds fired through it. There are also differences between how the two companies set up the barrels for forearms.
MGM is my pick.

Flexwing man
Re: good aftermarket barrels?? [message #2779 is a reply to message #2142] Sun, 02 January 2011 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
basdjs is currently offline  basdjs
Forum Newbie
I have factory barrels in 7mm-08, .260 Rem (no longer made), .243, .22 Hornet, and .50 ML and all are shooters that can all outshoot me. Have MGM custom barrels in .17 HMR and .17 Fireball and they are outstanding. The MGM .17 HMR is a pistol barrel that is drilled off-center so it is interchangeable with other centerfire barrels without modifying for rimfire. I'd stay with factory barrels for standard available calibers and I agree with Flexwing that you can't do better than MGM for custom barrels.
Re: good aftermarket barrels?? [message #2832 is a reply to message #2779] Tue, 04 January 2011 22:34 Go to previous message
rzachs is currently offline  rzachs
Forum Newbie
i love my stock prohunter .300wm, ive tried a Bergara .300wm barrel and i myself didnt like it. the bullets traveled way too much for my liking. shot tighter groups with the stocker. tried different powders and bullets in the Bergara Barrel but didnt change anything.

Complete guns:
stainless Pro Hunter reciever/Pro Hunter barrel 28" .300WM realtree thumbstock/burris sig. scope
Previous Topic: Place to buy
Next Topic: Trigger assy cleaning
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 03:39:01 EDT 2024