Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » Thompson Center Contender Classifieds » Contender Reference Only » Identifying Contender Frames (with pictures)
Identifying Contender Frames (with pictures) [message #18559] Mon, 21 January 2013 16:17 Go to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Question keeps coming up, so lets get some pics out there

Here's a very early add I found in some magazine published in 1968.
index.php?t=getfile&id=7541&private=0
Notice the scrolling on the frame.

index.php?t=getfile&id=8066&private=0
This again shows the frame with scrolling. You can also tell it's an early frame because the hammer doesn't have a safety or switch, and the trigger guard is hinged at the front.

index.php?t=getfile&id=8067&private=0
TC Then decided they could save some money if they reduced the amount of engraving on the frame, so out went a bit of the scroll work from above the cougar. The hammer in this picture has the cross-bolt safety.

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy10/Crubear/Shown%20on%20Web%20Pics/Contender%20Frames/GoldwashedContender_zps0e66c831.jpg
Not sure when they did this, but I've seen about 5 of these gold washed frames. It was definitely a TC Factory process though. This one's kind of rough, but they are sharp looking when you have it in hand.
Edit:This info is an error, Factory never did this, It was owners using a Brownell's kit.

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy10/Crubear/Shown%20on%20Web%20Pics/Contender%20Frames/EasyOpenContender_zps4b7aae3a.jpg
Probably responding to Customer comments, someone figured out that you could increase the leverage and decrease the effort of opening a frame by moving the hinge in the trigger guard to the middle. These are called "Easy Open" frames.

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy10/Crubear/Shown%20on%20Web%20Pics/Contender%20Frames/ArmourAlloyContender_zps463cee3c.jpg
Then TC came out with Armour Alloy II. A coating they plated onto both frames and barrels. This coating made things a little bigger, so you might have problems putting an AA2 barrel on a blued frame or a blued barrel on an AA2 frame. Just something to be aware of.
Edit: Hinge pins are smaller on a AA, larger on standard blue and SS

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy10/Crubear/Shown%20on%20Web%20Pics/Contender%20Frames/StainlessContender_zpsa7abf9ba.jpg
TC then came out with what's called the "Angry Cougar" by some, in both stainless and blue.

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy10/Crubear/Shown%20on%20Web%20Pics/Contender%20Frames/G2Contender_zps040afa7c.gif
And of course, now you have the G2, which comes in stainless or Blue

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!

[Updated on: Mon, 22 July 2019 13:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Contender Frames [message #18560 is a reply to message #18559] Mon, 21 January 2013 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
One final warning... with the advent of coatings, you can now find what appear to be desirable AA2 frames. AA2 frames have a prefix of A in the serial number.

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy10/Crubear/Shown%20on%20Web%20Pics/Contender%20Frames/CautionContender_zpsd42fefad.jpg

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!

[Updated on: Tue, 25 November 2014 12:32]

Re: Contender Frames [message #18570 is a reply to message #18560] Mon, 21 January 2013 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
groat is currently offline  groat
Crubearvery informative thanks, I use to have one of those early frames, wish I still had it
Re: Contender Frames [message #18589 is a reply to message #18570] Mon, 21 January 2013 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
You and me both

Re: Contender Frames [message #18602 is a reply to message #18589] Tue, 22 January 2013 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
The Ad: "Each gun is now handsomely engraved." So much for truth in advertising, they're actually etched. The rear scroll was delted in the 16,2xx serial range. I know someone with two frames in this range just 10 numbers apart; one with the rear scroll, the other without.
AA2's being desireable is debatable; the caliber selections were very limited, and T'C's own literature mentions that Blued and AA2 frames and barrels are NOT interchangeable. AA2 frames are preceeded with "A" on their serial numbers, the right side of their barrel lugs are stamped "AA" as well.
The easy-open feature came into play during the cross-bolt safety period. By april 1, 1984 all frames that left the factory were both lever selector and easy open. They did offer owners of older frames to send their guns in to get the easy open trigger guards, the newer hammer being "optional" along with it. Thus you can find some frames with the front trigger group hole still in them, the owners merely opted for the conversion.
Other notable frames:
1. For the first month or so, frames had no etching, and thus called "flat-sides". Serial numbers started with "1000". Flat sides can generally be found interspersed into the 1700 range.
2. Eagle frames: 50-60 frames were selected (virtually at random) for this trial. Porosity was prone in the center where the casting sprue was, resulting in unacceptable reject rates. Others rejected because etching the eagle resulted in rejects as well (probably too intricate). Interspersed 1300-1800's
3. IHMSA: 1979-80. 400 flatsides with 14" barrels. Serials starting with IHMSA 001. First 25 in .357 mag were silver inlaid with the IHMSA logo. Last 25 no inlays. All IHMSA 14's had the "williams" type rear sights. Second was 45 Colt, another set numbering 50. Next was 50 .44 Mag. Next was 50 30 Herrett. Next was .256 Win, 100 made for this one. Last was 100 7TCU.
1971: NRA commemorative. Not released, NRA chose Colt and Daisy for official commemoratives.
1989: 500 Steve Herrett Comm. SH preceeded serial numbered cased sets. Engraved in Japan. Shipped with a 10" 30 Herrett engraved barrel, and dummy 30 and 357 Herrett shells. Frame engraved with Herrett's likeness on left side and award on reverse side.
1992: T/C 25th anniversary commemorative.
1986+: TCA collector's association special runs.
Jim

[Updated on: Mon, 22 June 2015 21:32]

Re: Contender Frames [message #23382 is a reply to message #18602] Wed, 24 July 2013 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Didn't include this, but....

TC put a tiny little screw inside the frame that you can use to take up trigger creep. With a little work and patience you could get an outstanding trigger by setting this screw and the over travel. I don't know if the earliest frames had this, but the later cougar frames do. If someone has an Angry Cougar (they're still ugly IMHO)can let us know.

I don't believe that the G2 does either.

Edit: All G-1's Have trigger creep adjustment; however none are within the "frame". The first two versions of trigger guards had them with a tiny set screw in the top middle left on the bottom of the trigger guard part that sits basicly flush with the bottom of the frame. You have to remove the trigger guard to gain access to the screw. The Easy open made it easier, it's set screw is accessed with the trigger guard still pinned to the frame in "ready" use mode. The screw is located at the top front of the trigger. The second and third(last) frame versions all had overtravel adjustment. The screw for this is in a small "boss" behind the trigger and is accessed from between the trigger guard's rear and grip. Watch out while adjusting the overtravel, the screw is pretty short and you may screw it in until it falls out. It really should have been longer, and you can find longer replacements. Don't go over 1/4" total length longer ones to replace it with, could end up with a knuckle scraper.

[Updated on: Sat, 29 March 2014 19:12] by Moderator

Re: Contender Frames [message #24354 is a reply to message #23382] Fri, 20 September 2013 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Not sure if I've posted this any where else, but if you want to know (roughly) when your Encore or G1 Contender was made....

http://www.handgunhunt.com/tech/t1/index.html

Re: Contender Frames [message #25175 is a reply to message #24354] Tue, 29 October 2013 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dima is currently offline  Dima
Novice Contributor
I just purchased a very old contender frame,#64000 series and can attest they are in fact harder to cock!
Re: Contender Frames [message #25176 is a reply to message #25175] Tue, 29 October 2013 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
You are correct Dima, they can be - especially if you've got single piece lugs.

If you've got several barrels, give this a try and let us know how it turns out. Find a barrel that's very hard to open and a barrel that's easy (or easier) to open and switch the barrel lugs. Did they switch in difficulty? It appears that lug difference have an impact as well.

Re: Contender Frames [message #25222 is a reply to message #25176] Thu, 31 October 2013 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dima is currently offline  Dima
Novice Contributor
Crubear that's exactly what we did! I got to thinking about it and we swapped out barrels and viola! It opens fairly easy now for such an old frame. It definitely discouraged my wife the first time she tried to break the action open. Now I'm on her good side! Although my excuse to purchase a G2 frame just went down the toilet Crying or Very Sad
Re: Contender Frames [message #25230 is a reply to message #25222] Thu, 31 October 2013 17:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
Rich,

The angry cougar stainless frame does have both the creep and overtravel screws. Other than material and etching design it's virtually identical to the regular easy open frame. Serial #'s prefixed with "S"
Jim
Re: Contender Frames [message #30318 is a reply to message #25230] Wed, 02 April 2014 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
welderboy250 is currently offline  welderboy250
Forum Newbie
Something I didn't see mentioned here yet was a blued frame with the angry cougar. Don't really know any details. Maby someone can elaborate.
Previous Topic: Contender Dissasembly - Cross Hammer Safety
Next Topic: Contender Sights
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 04:45:13 EDT 2024