Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Reloading » Is my thinking correct??
Is my thinking correct?? [message #18941] Tue, 29 January 2013 16:43 Go to next message
lepcur is currently offline  lepcur
Top Contributor
Hey Guys, I have a 6.5 rem. mag C.S. barrel I'm getting set to reload for and I've checked the headspace with factory ammo and it comes in at .003 and that is with the recessed case, the frame gap is all but zero. So I'm thinking the only way to do this is to full length size the brass because after firing the case head sticks out beyond the barrel face as the shoulder moved forward and in order to keep the headspace like it is now the shoulder would have to be bumped back. What do you guys think? Mike
Re: Is my thinking correct?? [message #18943 is a reply to message #18941] Tue, 29 January 2013 17:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
Mike,

Will the gun still close easily with the fired rounds left in the chamber? If I read your post right, apparantly the unfired factory round sits .003 below the breech? And when fired it sits above the breech? If so, how far? By chance, is your firing pin bushing above the surface, and has it been shimmed? I'd initially try bumping the shoulder back so that it's flush with the breech-face and go from there.
Jim
Re: Is my thinking correct?? [message #18959 is a reply to message #18943] Tue, 29 January 2013 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Hi Jim, The firing pin bushing seems to be flush and I know it hasn't been shimmed as I bought 2 of these several years ago new.
The action will close on a fired round. After firing the case head sticks out maybe .002.
I bought 2 of these 6.5s and decided to keep this one as the other is a custom but in 16.5" and I want the 22". I also bought some used brass so I decided to full length size this batch to start out fresh and bumped the shoulders back at the same time, seemd like the right thing to do, I just got done. Mike
Re: Is my thinking correct?? [message #19138 is a reply to message #18959] Sat, 02 February 2013 21:00 Go to previous message
Top Contributor
Jim, Thanks for all the help, I think I got it. Mike
Previous Topic: 7mm-08 Encore barrel
Next Topic: Best way to determine OAL of cartridge
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 10:02:25 EDT 2024