Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » General Conversation » Stainless Encore Barrel Not Completely Stainless
Stainless Encore Barrel Not Completely Stainless [message #19001] Wed, 30 January 2013 20:36 Go to next message
tyog is currently offline  tyog
Forum Regular
Hi Guys I'm new here. Quick question I just purchased a Stainless .223 encore barrel but the "block" that attaches to the frame appears not to be stainless? Has anyone ever seen this before? I'm going to call Thompson tomorrow to ask the question.
Thanks,
Tyler
Re: Stainless Encore Barrel Not Completely Stainless [message #19003 is a reply to message #19001] Wed, 30 January 2013 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
groat is currently offline  groat
I have 2 new barrels within the past couple years same blue lock lug, they use to be all stainless at one time probably sw cost savings
Re: Stainless Encore Barrel Not Completely Stainless [message #19026 is a reply to message #19003] Thu, 31 January 2013 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Regular
Think I'm going to send it back. What's sense of getting a stainless barrel if its not all stainless?
Re: Stainless Encore Barrel Not Completely Stainless [message #19029 is a reply to message #19026] Thu, 31 January 2013 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
groat is currently offline  groat
I also have a MGM custom barrel aound 1 year old has the same blue lug, its just the way it is; why make 2 when you can only make one, I see your point, but do believe that the lug will last as long as a stainless one with the same care.
Re: Stainless Encore Barrel Not Completely Stainless [message #19038 is a reply to message #19001] Thu, 31 January 2013 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

If you take care of the barrel the way it should be, then it will last as long as the SS one would. Now if you left it out in a dirt pile then there might be a difference. I would not send it back. If you do you may not get another one, at least a new one anyway.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: Stainless Encore Barrel Not Completely Stainless [message #19045 is a reply to message #19038] Thu, 31 January 2013 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Regular
I paid $230 for I'm going back and forth on if I should keep it or not. Seems like the .223 are kind of scarce unless you want to pay big money.
Re: Stainless Encore Barrel Not Completely Stainless [message #19063 is a reply to message #19045] Thu, 31 January 2013 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jtb1967 is currently offline  jtb1967
Forum Newbie
It's probably a cost savings and the crome molly steel may hold up better in a high wear area.
Re: Stainless Encore Barrel Not Completely Stainless [message #19149 is a reply to message #19063] Sun, 03 February 2013 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
christopher.gibbons1@gmai
For what its worth, I have two SS muzzleloader barrels with some pitting on the stainless lug. Let a friend use them while I was in Iraq he didn't get all the residue off. I was shocked that the stainless actually pitted. Ive had other stainless barrels darken or stain, never pit. Now I don't waste money on SS. I pay less for them blue and follow Mr. Murls advice about proper care. Also, dont lend a TC out, unless its for a day on going to be hunting with the person.
Although in been hunting TC guns for 26 years, I have no experience with the weather shield product. Maybe some of the guys can help you determine if thats a better option for you. Best of luck, Chris G.

Bolt & Ball Hunter
Re: Stainless Encore Barrel Not Completely Stainless [message #19156 is a reply to message #19149] Sun, 03 February 2013 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lepcur is currently offline  lepcur
Top Contributor
The weather shield coating is supposed to be 20 times tougher than s.s. I tink the s.s. t/c uses is of low quality as I've seen more than a few of them with light rust spots/stains on them. I like the looks of the w/s better but have not owned one for a prolonged amount of time, they're a 26" fluted barrel. mike
Re: Stainless Encore Barrel Not Completely Stainless [message #19159 is a reply to message #19156] Sun, 03 February 2013 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Opinions on this subject vary, and I've never seen a certified metallurgist come on a website to put falsehoods to rest, so I'm relying on a few statistics to form my answers. Basically, for those who don't want to read this entire reply, I'll sum it up:

In the T/C Encore factory barrels - It doesn't matter.

OK to the reasons why...

"Blued" is usually a chrome molly alloy, 4140. Stainless is "usually" 416R, but doesn't have to be. That is just the type that most barrel makers use. There are various hardness's of that stainless steel as well. Not all stainless steel is created equal, and nobody really has confirmed which stainless steel / which hardness T/C uses in their own stainless barrels.

For a barrel, stainless normally results in a smoother bore finish, which equates to better accuracy. For non-competition shooters, the difference is probably un-noticable. There are even some barrel makers that will tell you that the difference in accuracy is negligible.

Stainless steel normally is more heat resistant, which equates to less throat erosion, which equals longer barrel life. But with a single shot platform... most of us will never "shoot out" a barrel. Very few will. Most won't.

I read a good article by Chuck Hawks that highlighted using different types of metal in different calibers. Something like a .22 doesn't require the same type of strength and throat durability as a magnum caliber. I find this important to note because if you look at the factory prices of stainless steel barrels, the price doesn't change between caliber. Take EABCO's price list for example. In a 26" Heavy barrel SS Encore, the price is $302, whether we are talking about a .204 Ruger, or a .300 Win Mag. Where am I going with this? I'm making a few assumptions. More than likely, a mass-produced barrel isn't going to be match grade. The price didn't change across calibers, leading me to believe the SS material didn't change either. Figure the odds of a mass-production company using the higher grade SS on calibers that don't need it. Now some will say that using the higher grade SS on everything vice changing out material between calibers will allow them to buy only one grade of SS, which may reduce costs. I'd agree with that, but I'd bet that grade is the lower grade, not the higher.

Now, I know we are talking about a chrome moly lug on a stainless barrel. Even though my point took a while to get to, it is this:

T/C's stainless has been proven to "stain". It's more than likely not the highest quality of stainless steel. That is not a dig on T/C. That is just an observation. To get upset about a chrome moly lug being attached to a "stainless" barrel (which isn't quite as stainless as it should be), is a mute point to me. More than likely, that stainless steel barrel is just a tad bit more corrosion resistant than the blued lug. So in a cost saving move, T/C probably just figured this out and started welding chrome moly lugs on everything.

I'd keep the barrel. I seriously doubt you will ever have any issues with it. As long as you take care of your firearms, you should be fine.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: Stainless Encore Barrel Not Completely Stainless [message #19370 is a reply to message #19159] Thu, 07 February 2013 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st.attila is currently offline  st.attila
Forum Newbie
Stainless steel is a misnomer. The industry refers to it as CRES (Corrrosion RESistant Steel). Like already mentioned, some are more resistant to corrosion.

The Specialty Steel Industry of North America (SSINA):

Stainless does not "rust" as you think of regular steel rusting with a red oxide on the surface that flakes off. If you see red rust it is probably due to some iron particles that have contaminated the surface of the stainless steel and it is these iron particles that are rusting. Look at the source of the rusting and see if you can remove it from the surface. If the iron is embedded in the surface, you can try a solution of 10% nitric and 2% hydrofluoric acid at room temperature or slightly heated. Wash area well with lots and lots of water after use. Commercially available "pickling paste" can also be used. See "The Care and Cleaning of Stainless Steel" for more information.

http://www.ssina.com/download_a_file/cleaning.pdf

[Updated on: Thu, 07 February 2013 22:31]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Stainless Encore Barrel Not Completely Stainless [message #19724 is a reply to message #19001] Sun, 17 February 2013 17:23 Go to previous message
cholifield is currently offline  cholifield
Novice Contributor
I bought an Encore Prohunter last year with a 35 whelen barrel, all stainless. Soon after I bought a .223 barrel, then i found a bargain on a 7mm rem mag barrel, then I found a stainless 209 X .50 barrel ($50 Shocked ) all of them are stainless.
Anyway the 35whelen barrel has a blued block, the others are silver colored but I suspect some of them may be just coated, either way I don't have a problem with the carbon steel block.

I have worked with metal and welded and such a lot in the past and the carbon steel block is probably a better choice for the block because of it's probably less "stretchy" than stainless, although the tensile strength will be less.
This may be the reason gun barrel metal is made of 410 or 416 rather than 304L stainless. The reason it can hold a magnet and rust is because it has more carbon in it, the carbon makes it less "stretchy", "gummy", easier to machine, etc.

I would keep it, I plan to keep mine. slather it with gun oil or gun grease and you won't have any problems, you can't see it when its on the gun anyway.

The reason I have stainless is because sometimes I am a slacker when it comes to cleaning guns I guess, I have a bunch of them and not as much time as I need to clean them all. Where I live 80% to 90% humidity is not unusual, so when you get through shooting a Blued gun you better have your Shooters Choice and RemOil ready . Stainless may give me a day or two, maybe even a week more time to clean the bore. The Barrel Bore is my main concern, I can have a pit or corrosion on the outside of the barrel and it will be ugly, but a pit in the bore can affect accuracy.
Previous Topic: Serial number look-up
Next Topic: Another New Guy checking in
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 12:21:14 EDT 2024