Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » General Conversation » Which stock do you prefer on encore?
Which stock do you prefer on encore? [message #19677] Sat, 16 February 2013 11:34 Go to next message
jake is currently offline  jake
Novice Contributor
Just wandering which stocks are prefeered for rifle, and muzzleloader. I have a synthetic thumbhole stock on mine, I custom painted it.

I'm Kind of thinking about tring a laminate stock.

Thanks
Re: Which stock do you prefer on encore? [message #19685 is a reply to message #19677] Sat, 16 February 2013 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
I have always liked the high comb walnut stocks, they're what got me into the Encore

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Which stock do you prefer on encore? [message #19688 is a reply to message #19685] Sat, 16 February 2013 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Thumbhole laminate for me. I got hooked on them a while back when I changed a hard kicking .270 Remington 700 into a much softer feeling kick. I have a bad shoulder, so .270 was about the limit of my pain threshold. Now, it doesn't bother me at all. I now have thumbhole laminate stocks on my bolt actions, semi auto .22's, and my Encore rifle. Absolutely love 'em.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: Which stock do you prefer on encore? [message #19690 is a reply to message #19688] Sat, 16 February 2013 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
I have to shoot left handed (left eye dominant) and have yet to find a left hand thumbhole at a price I'm willing to pay

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Which stock do you prefer on encore? [message #19691 is a reply to message #19690] Sat, 16 February 2013 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Crubear,

$75 for a laminated, left hand, thumbhole stock.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product.htm?pid=20165&cat= undefined

Cheaper than any factory stock with the exception of the plain black composite Encore model.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: Which stock do you prefer on encore? [message #19692 is a reply to message #19690] Sat, 16 February 2013 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

I will have to say that I have never tried a thumbhole stock on anything. I have shouldered them in the shops and really like the feel, but have never shot one at all. With a thumbhole stock how does it work with the hammer of an Encore? I don't think I have ever shouldered an Encore with a thumbhole stock.
Otherwise I am with Crubear with the high comb walnut stocks. I also have a couple of plastic stocks, but really prefer the walnut. I also have longer arms so the walnut fits me better.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: Which stock do you prefer on encore? [message #19701 is a reply to message #19692] Sat, 16 February 2013 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kc2htv is currently offline  kc2htv
Forum Regular
Standard Encore walnut high comb for hunting, and laminated thumb hole for the range... Have a custom comming from Dr. Tony next month with thumb hole and finger reliefs in fancy walnut... Tuff on the wallet though.

The barter system is alive and well, but the learning curve can be painful.

Certified NYS Hunter Safety Instructor.
Certified NYS Bow Hunter Safety Instructor.
Re: Which stock do you prefer on encore? [message #19709 is a reply to message #19701] Sun, 17 February 2013 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
littleking is currently offline  littleking
Forum Admin

thumb hole flex tech for me, check out the reason why here: Thompson Center Encore Thumb-Hole Flex Tech
Re: Which stock do you prefer on encore? [message #19710 is a reply to message #19709] Sun, 17 February 2013 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jotjackson is currently offline  jotjackson
Novice Contributor
Same as littleking, works great for me.

Jerry W. Jackson
Re: Which stock do you prefer on encore? [message #19711 is a reply to message #19710] Sun, 17 February 2013 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lepcur is currently offline  lepcur
Top Contributor
X3 for me. Don't get me wrong, I love the looks of the wood and lam. T.H. stocks but I like the lighter weight of the syn. stocks. Mike
Re: Which stock do you prefer on encore? [message #19868 is a reply to message #19711] Thu, 21 February 2013 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mjgonehunting is currently offline  mjgonehunting
Forum Regular
I really like my laminated stocks.
I have several.
My original is my favorite,and is slightly thinner in the wrist area than the others.
It is from Boyds.
My newest lamis are Boyds also but are thicker through the wrist.
I like the shadow grey color better too,but I have both grey and Brown.
They have the same comb and basic shape and angle as factory wood stocks,with the benefit of laminated stability.
I've used them from 8-10 below to near 100 degrees in all kinds of precipitation with no problems.

[Updated on: Fri, 22 February 2013 07:20] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Which stock do you prefer on encore? [message #19957 is a reply to message #19868] Sat, 23 February 2013 08:46 Go to previous message
alditom59 is currently offline  alditom59
I just got a M4 adjustable from Ed Browns, Love it.
I like that I can adjust the stock for summer shooting with a T-shirt and then adjust it for hunting with heaver clothing on.
Very comfortable, and looks awesome.
Previous Topic: Working on the website
Next Topic: Not an Owner . . . Yet
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 17:57:27 EDT 2024