Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » General Conversation » Another New Guy checking in
icon7.gif  Another New Guy checking in [message #19703] Sat, 16 February 2013 23:31 Go to next message
wganz is currently offline  wganz
Forum Newbie

Another guy returning back to T/C's. Just picked up my T/C Dimension in .22-250 this morning and got a price check on getting an Encore Pro Hunter frame. Back in college, I had a T/C Contender that had the pivot point in front of the trigger guard with a 10" octagon .30-30 barrel. Do remember that sucker was *L*O*U*D*!!

Got some questions if ya'll don't mind entertaining them.

1) Would like to know if anyone could point me to where I could get a 20" custom barrel chambered in 6.5x57Rimmed for the Encore? S&B does import that caliber in the US.

2) Is S&W going to drop the Contender line? Would like to get another one with .357 Magnum and .300 BLK barrels for it. It looks like the Encore frame is a bit overkill for a .357 Magnum. Would like some input on this. First off, it still blows my mind that S&W bought them and, then, secondly some bean counter would kill off the line that made the company that they bought.

3) Has T/C announced any new barrels outside of the original 10? Would like to get a threaded carbine length .300 BLK and a bull barrel .30 caliber(either .308 or .300 Win Mag)?

4) Lastly, has anyone announced that they're going to make custom barrels for the Dimension rifle? I'd like to get a 'C' caliber for the bolt & magazine, and get a 9.3x62mm barrel for it. After that last boar that we got flushed out on the back 40 on my grandfather's old farm, I may be looking for a 20mm barrel. Shocked

THANKS!!!! >:)

To seek, to strive, to find, and not to yield.
Maranatha!! <")))><
Re: Another New Guy checking in [message #19704 is a reply to message #19703] Sun, 17 February 2013 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chimo is currently offline  chimo
Forum Newbie
Welcome! Just a noob myself but sounded like bullberry would make you pretty much anything you wanted for barrels. I contacted them about a 209x50 pistol barrel and was quoted about 3 months to complete though.
Re: Another New Guy checking in [message #19706 is a reply to message #19703] Sun, 17 February 2013 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

Welcome back in to folds of T/C arms. And also welcome to one of the best forums on the net. Real great bunch of people here. A newby question is treated just like one from an old timer who is having a problem. No body here will put you down for a question, there are no bad questions here. Everyone that I have dealt with was honest to the point of under stated products. Enjoy the forum, I sure do.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: Another New Guy checking in [message #19712 is a reply to message #19706] Sun, 17 February 2013 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lepcur is currently offline  lepcur
Top Contributor
Welcome to the site Will. Between Bullberry, MGM, and SSK I think you'll find what you want in chamberings, as long as it's safe in the format you're looking at. Mike
Re: Another New Guy checking in [message #19717 is a reply to message #19712] Sun, 17 February 2013 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie

lepcur wrote on Sun, 17 February 2013 11:44
Welcome to the site Will. Between Bullberry, MGM, and SSK I think you'll find what you want in chamberings, as long as it's safe in the format you're looking at. Mike
I was under the impression that the 6.5x55 Rimmed Mauser which was created circa 1894 for combination firearms should be safe for 2013 Encore's. The CIP piezo pressure is 48K and crusher pressure is 42K http://kwk.us/pressures.html . And the cartridge head size is essentially the same as the .308 Winchester which is run a lot hotter and is a standard fare of Encore pistols.

Am I missing something?

Maranatha!! <")))><
Re: Another New Guy checking in [message #19721 is a reply to message #19717] Sun, 17 February 2013 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
You simply mis-interpreted what Lepcur was saying. Basically, you can get virtually anything chambered by one of the custom barrel outfits as long as it's safe for the encore platform. The 7X57, 7X57R, and their baby sisters the 6.5X57 and 6.5X57R are all well more than safe for the encore. The rimmed were especially designed for break-action european guns for a century now. You might add Mike Bellm to the list if you have or can find a decent priced barrel that just needs re-chambered, if someone else doesn't have a chambering reamer in 6.5X57R. EABCO may also be able to fix you up as well for a custom barrel.
Jim
Re: Another New Guy checking in [message #19732 is a reply to message #19721] Sun, 17 February 2013 20:33 Go to previous message
Forum Newbie

Do appreciate the input. Went to Bullberry's site and they do list the 6.5x57 as one of their standard calibers. I've used their contact web page to see if they could cut the chamber to allow for the rimmed cartridge.

Maranatha!! <")))><
Previous Topic: Stainless Encore Barrel Not Completely Stainless
Next Topic: Working on the website
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 01:06:34 EDT 2024