Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Reloading » Stainless Steel Pins - Tumbling Media questions
Stainless Steel Pins - Tumbling Media questions [message #19750] Mon, 18 February 2013 11:13 Go to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
I've heard this stuff works really well, but after reading some stuff on Facebook this morning, I'm not so sure it's worth it. The initial advertisement I saw for stainless steel pins as tumbling media kind of bashed on using corn cob, walnut, and ultrasonic cleaners. It made it sound "easier" than those other methods, with better results. The ads pushed that it would get them cleaner and with less hassle, as the pins supposedly clean inside and out and fall through the flash holes so there is no residue.

But then I read that when you are using the media separator, the bottom should be filled with water so that the basket is being submersed when you are rotating it. HUH? Rolling Eyes So, not only am I getting my brass wet again (which will leave water spots on them when I put them up to dry), but I also have wet media, which means I need to dry it before I use it again.

My method is to start out with the Hornady Ultrasonic cleaner. I find it cleans my brass inside and out very well. Sometimes, the primer pockets aren't perfectly clean, but I have a RCBS prep station that makes my primer pockets look like new anyway. After they have been cleaned with the ultrasonic cleaner and dried, I put them in my Hornady Tumbler. Some people claim it's not a tumbler, but actually a vibrating media cleaner. I assure you - they tumble in there. A lot. Very Happy

My brass comes out looking like new, or better in some cases. I've got brass that's so shiny, it makes factory loads look weathered.

Now, I also mentioned the tumbler above. I don't actually have what is considered a tumbler, although mine does tumble media. The stainless steel pins require an actual tumbler, which I have to say, it quite a bit more expensive than the vibrating kind that I have. ($100 to $300 more, depending on whether you are going with a Thumlers or RCBS).

So... Worth it, or not? I'd really like to hear from someone who has used both methods - Stainless Steel pins alone, and also the Ultrasonic followed by corncob or walnut media way. Do you really see a difference, and is that difference worth the additional cost?

One last question - They claim that the stainless pins won't damage the brass. I'm skeptical. Anybody see damage from using them?

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!

[Updated on: Mon, 18 February 2013 11:14]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Stainless Steel Pins - Tumbling Media questions [message #19758 is a reply to message #19750] Mon, 18 February 2013 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lepcur is currently offline  lepcur
Top Contributor
I'm in the process of building a tumbler as we speak and I built it to use the s.s. pins but after pricing them it would run me about 100 bucks for the pins so I think I'll just use walnut and cob instead. When you use the pins you use them in a liquid containing water and a small amount of dish soap. My tumbler will end up costing about 75 bucks when complete.
Re: Stainless Steel Pins - Tumbling Media questions [message #19763 is a reply to message #19758] Mon, 18 February 2013 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
The only thing I read that had me concerned was getting all of the media out of the cases. I do like the CLEAN brass though.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Stainless Steel Pins - Tumbling Media questions [message #19765 is a reply to message #19763] Mon, 18 February 2013 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

From what I understand about the media is you have to keep it in solution with water, and the media will wash out of the cases. I have also read that you can use it in a vibrator type tumbler but have to keep the level below the holes, so the solution does not leak out. I am going to just pick up some more walnut media and stick with my Lyman vibrator, at least for now.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: Stainless Steel Pins - Tumbling Media questions [message #19898 is a reply to message #19765] Thu, 21 February 2013 18:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alditom59 is currently offline  alditom59
I also have tried the SS media and was not to happy with the results. I would fine water spots on the casings after they dried.
I have had awesome results and clean shinny casings by doing the following method.
First I deprime my casings, then I boil them in an old pot with a little Dawn soap and a very small amount of Lemie- shine. To much Lemie-Shine will tarnish the casings and to much soap will suds over the pot.
Boil for a few minutes then rinse and put in to tumbler for normal time. Casings come out very clean inside and out.No water spots.
It's a little work but well worth it.
Good Luck.
AL
Re: Stainless Steel Pins - Tumbling Media questions [message #19961 is a reply to message #19898] Sat, 23 February 2013 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HHI6818 is currently offline  HHI6818
Novice Contributor
Lot of discussion here

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php?topic=3801687.0
Re: Stainless Steel Pins - Tumbling Media questions [message #19962 is a reply to message #19961] Sat, 23 February 2013 11:01 Go to previous message
lepcur is currently offline  lepcur
Top Contributor
STM was the cheapest place I found the s.s. pins, I think they were 45 bucks for 5 lbs. Mike
Previous Topic: case trimmer
Next Topic: tumbling media polish and cleaner
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 04:57:15 EDT 2024