Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Reloading » tumbling media polish and cleaner
tumbling media polish and cleaner [message #19917] Fri, 22 February 2013 09:40 Go to next message
wwkmag is currently offline  wwkmag

I have beeen reading that car polish for brass and a dryer sheet for cleaning the media afterwards works great.

My question is does,the car polish residue affect powder or primer
after any length of time. [years] My reloads do not get used up for a few years sometimes.
Also if you do rinse brass off, what do you use?
Re: tumbling media polish and cleaner [message #19919 is a reply to message #19917] Fri, 22 February 2013 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
I can vouch for the dryer sheets, I put them in while I'm cleaning though. They're still picking up a few decades of dirt.

I've read a couple threads on other sites about using liquid polish in the media, not sure about the long term, but make sure it absolutely DOES NOT have ammonia in it. Ammonia does very bad things to brass. Can't see how it would hurt though, it isn't oil based and will help prevent corrosion during long term storage.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: tumbling media polish and cleaner [message #19945 is a reply to message #19919] Fri, 22 February 2013 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kc2htv is currently offline  kc2htv
Forum Regular
I use midway liquid polish in my media, a couple of cap fulls. Works great, after loading is complete. I use a small amount of brasso and the shells stay pretty for years as long as no finger oils get on them.

The barter system is alive and well, but the learning curve can be painful.

Certified NYS Hunter Safety Instructor.
Certified NYS Bow Hunter Safety Instructor.
Re: tumbling media polish and cleaner [message #19946 is a reply to message #19919] Fri, 22 February 2013 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Crubear wrote on Fri, 22 February 2013 11:11
I can vouch for the dryer sheets, I put them in while I'm cleaning though. They're still picking up a few decades of dirt.

Crubear,
Could you explain the dryer sheet thing? How do you use it, and what is it for?
All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: tumbling media polish and cleaner [message #19952 is a reply to message #19946] Fri, 22 February 2013 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Cut old dryer sheets into strips and just drop them in. They pick up dirt and dust from the media, lots of dirt and dust. It also cuts down on the static electricity.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: tumbling media polish and cleaner [message #19970 is a reply to message #19952] Sat, 23 February 2013 15:15 Go to previous message
wwkmag is currently offline  wwkmag

Thank you everyone for the great info!...WWKMAG
Previous Topic: Stainless Steel Pins - Tumbling Media questions
Next Topic: Reloading--Favorite Loads
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 07:35:23 EDT 2024