Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Reloading » Have you ever loaded a .224 into .30 cal brass (for pistols)?
Have you ever loaded a .224 into .30 cal brass (for pistols)? [message #20552] Sat, 09 March 2013 10:59 Go to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
I was looking through AmmoGuide this morning (I really like that site), and this ad for EABCO popped up regarding loading .224 bullets into .30 cal brass for use in pistols. I've never seen or heard of this before. It's a sabot that you load the .224 bullet into, and then load that into .30 brass for shooting out of a pistol.

http://www.eabco.com/remington-accelerator-sabots.html

Has anyone ever tried this, and if so, what kind of results did you get?

What was the purpose of doing this anyway? I mean... I know it might save you from buying another caliber barrel, but I still don't understand the point. I would think it would make the .224 bullet very unstable, but I'm still a relatively new reloader, so I don't know for sure.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!

[Updated on: Sat, 09 March 2013 13:35]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Have you ever loaded a .224 into .30 cal pistol brass? [message #20555 is a reply to message #20552] Sat, 09 March 2013 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
Glenn,

for a while a "big" ammo company was loading .224's in sabots in at least two calibers, including (I think) 30-30. (.308 and 30-30?). They were getting velocities approaching 4,000fps. Not having any interest, I just let it pass memory. I think it mostly just an attempt to allow people with "deer" guns to be able to bang varmints at longer ranges. Accuracy was't all that bad, maybe not quite prarie dog head capable at 450 yards, but certainly acceptable for fox and coyotes at some pretty long ranges. OK it was Remington, and they did call it "accelerator", now that I checked your link. Hence the "accelerator-like" reference.
Jim

[Updated on: Sat, 09 March 2013 11:33]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Have you ever loaded a .224 into .30 cal pistol brass? [message #20556 is a reply to message #20555] Sat, 09 March 2013 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
Gee Glenn, a lot of people here use sabots for their muzzies, and also shotgun slug barrels with acceptable accuracy. Maybe not one-hole, but certainly acceptable enough to effect decent kills.
Jim
Re: Have you ever loaded a .224 into .30 cal pistol brass? [message #20560 is a reply to message #20556] Sat, 09 March 2013 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Jim,
A lot of people here (including me) do use sabots for muzzleloaders and shotgun slugs. But those are long guns. This specifically said pistol, and therefore my accuracy and use questions. I'm not aware of many people doing long range varmint shooting with a pistol, but I'm sure there are probably people that do. I've also never met anyone that used, or heard anyone talking about using sabot bullets in a pistol.
All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: Have you ever loaded a .224 into .30 cal pistol brass? [message #20561 is a reply to message #20560] Sat, 09 March 2013 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

Jim was right about the brand and name, but it was 30-30 and 30-06. The accuracy was acceptable but sure was not great. Yes it was to allow use of a deer caliber for varmints. If I am not mistaken they were outlawed, but the sales of this ammunition was pretty poor as well. I do know that they are outlawed in Missouri for anything. They do allow sabot for black powder and slugs though in Missouri. I think that the ammo cases were not reloadable, but I don't know what they did to discourage this.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: Have you ever loaded a .224 into .30 cal pistol brass? [message #20842 is a reply to message #20561] Mon, 18 March 2013 13:00 Go to previous message
greenmtnboy is currently offline  greenmtnboy
Forum Newbie
I tried these a while back. I bought the setup From EABCO to reload most any 30 cal Cartridge along with it was a site to download reloading info for all kinds of 30 cal. I tried a few and they weren't to bad for accuracy but I wouldnt give up my 223 or 22-250 for them. Neat idea tho.
Rod
Previous Topic: Help - 556 in a 223???
Next Topic: Hornady Annealing Kit
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 05:16:58 EDT 2024