Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Reloading » Hornady Annealing Kit
Hornady Annealing Kit [message #20713] Thu, 14 March 2013 12:46 Go to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
OK, I have to admit that I've stopped getting and reading the reloading catalogs because they were all alike and not a whole lot of new stuff was added (that I thought was worthwhile).

Well, yesterday I found a Youtube video of a guy using the Hornady Annealing Kit. Keeping in mind that I'm on the cheap side, and brass is on the expensive side...well, you get the picture. I've got brass for a 7mmBR that should last me a lifetime, but who needs to keep 1,000 cases for just in case? So....

Anyone using this?

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Hornady Annealing Kit [message #20891 is a reply to message #20713] Tue, 19 March 2013 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HHI6818 is currently offline  HHI6818
Novice Contributor
I found this web site about 10 years ago and have used this method to anneal my brass.

http://varmintal.com/arelo.htm#Anneal
Re: Hornady Annealing Kit [message #20894 is a reply to message #20891] Tue, 19 March 2013 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
I remember reading that one quite a while ago.... it was good then too

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Hornady Annealing Kit [message #20896 is a reply to message #20894] Wed, 20 March 2013 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
I use the torch and a socket big enough to hold the brass I want to anneal. Put the socket on the end of a drill and turn it slowly in the flame. Works great. I also found the propane tanks for camp grills etc work better for the torch because they are fatter and stand up on their own with less chance of knocking it over than the typical long slender propane tanks that come with the torch kits.
Re: Hornady Annealing Kit [message #20917 is a reply to message #20896] Wed, 20 March 2013 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HHI6818 is currently offline  HHI6818
Novice Contributor
I use a small diameter dowel rod 3-4 inches long and sand it down so it fits in the primer pocket just right. Not to tight or you can't knock the piece of brass off it, put the dowel rod in the cordless drill. I have experiment with old brass and I found if I count as soon as you put the piece of brass in the flame, thousand 1 thousand 2 to thousand 5, slight dull red, knock it off into bucket of water. Key is to do it in a dark room and I think counting gives you better consistency than watching for dull red glow.
Re: Hornady Annealing Kit [message #20923 is a reply to message #20917] Thu, 21 March 2013 10:18 Go to previous message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
There's a youtube video where the guy does 5 to 10 cases with the paint and gets an average time.

Previous Topic: Have you ever loaded a .224 into .30 cal brass (for pistols)?
Next Topic: Barnes Bullets
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 02:47:42 EDT 2024