Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Reloading » .357 mag loads
Re: .357 mag loads [message #23071 is a reply to message #23069] Fri, 05 July 2013 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
Jim, already checked that. I check all of my contender/encore bbls with each bullet to see how close to the lands I am. Both the 185 GC bullet and the 180ssp will not even come close to the lands. They don't hit the lands until after the bullet leaves the case, so I can seat it as long as the bullet will grip in the case. I am not necessarily looking for higher velocities, just improved accuracy.

My method is to drop the bullet in the chamber. Measure the distance from the bullet to the breach with my caliper depth gauge. Then add that to the length of the bullet and that tells you the OAL for the bullet to touch the lands. I then typically back it up about .020 for most bullets, but with this bbl, you can't reach the lands. Thanks.
Re: .357 mag loads [message #23762 is a reply to message #23069] Sun, 18 August 2013 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
se3388 is currently offline  se3388
Forum Newbie
The powder that seems to be tailor made for the Maxi is Lil'Gun. I get top velocity with lower pressure signs that most other powders. My 15 inch bull barrel from OTT will shoot groups at 100 yds better than a lot of rifles. I also use it in my Encore rifle & pistol barrels and Marlin in 357 x 44 B&D.

Steve..........

Just bought 2 Encore frames back in the mid 90's or so.

NRA Patron Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life member
Re: .357 mag loads [message #24130 is a reply to message #23042] Sun, 08 September 2013 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cjrjck is currently offline  cjrjck
Forum Newbie
rchatting wrote on Thu, 04 July 2013 16:50
I had read the first article before, but never the article about reloading the mag long using max reload data. It makes sense, I may have to give it a try. Has anyone on here loaded the .357mag long using max reload data? If so, how long did you load? If I load it as long as a max I only have about 1/8 to 3/16" of bullet to grip in the case. Is that sufficient?

Thanks.

I am currently using Mag cases in a Contender Maxi chamber seating the Nolser 180 grain HG bullet out to Maxi C.O.L. or almost. Same principle as a long throated Mag gun. I am using Lil Gun and charges are somewhere between Maxi and Mag loads. I could go higher but have no need. It works. I've done the same thing in a .357 Mag Handi Rifle. You just have to be careful when seating the bullet to keep them straight.
Re: .357 mag loads [message #24147 is a reply to message #24130] Mon, 09 September 2013 12:56 Go to previous message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
That is kind of what I was thinking. Thanks!!
Previous Topic: Anyone reloading 357 MAX using H110 powder?
Next Topic: A note on 470 Nitro Express dies
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 18:33:51 EDT 2024