Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Reloading » New to reloading (New to reloading)
New to reloading [message #23345] Tue, 23 July 2013 12:59 Go to next message
timothymattson is currently offline  timothymattson
Forum Newbie
I am new to reloading. Getting ready to order a pistol barrel for my TC Encore (the frame is registered).
Considering 44 Mag, 45-70 Gov. or 460 Smith & Wesson, but leaning towards the 460. My initil hunting will be for deer, but in the future also hog's and bear.
I want to start reloading, but want to keep it simple, not looking to load in quantity, just enough to get out to the range and try some different loads for accuracy (new hobby for the coming winter months).
Appreciate any opinions, how is the Lee Hand Loader starter it?
Re: New to reloading [message #23346 is a reply to message #23345] Tue, 23 July 2013 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fishcoho is currently offline  fishcoho
Novice Contributor
Hello there, wow! This takes me back to when I first started reloading.
My first kit was the lee handloader in the 45/70 cal. I reloaded 405 gr rem bullets. It. Works but, I suprized myself when I popped a primer seating it in case with it. I use a lee single stage press now. But when I started using hornady leverlution bullets for my 45/70, that handloader seats in the rubber tipped bullets nicely without crushing the tip.

Just my few cents on the handloader kit,
Scott
Re: New to reloading [message #23347 is a reply to message #23346] Tue, 23 July 2013 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
The Lee Loaders are great to start out with, and show you how much you really need. I would recommend a good digital scale along with the kit. I'm always looking to add the kit when I pick up a new cartridge.

x2 on the 460. The option to fire 45LC and 454 are nice to have.

I've had more than a couple primers go off (300 Win Mag), don't get space between the die body and the base. Nothing can get out, but the bang will wake you up.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!

[Updated on: Tue, 23 July 2013 14:41]

Report message to a moderator

Re: New to reloading [message #23348 is a reply to message #23347] Tue, 23 July 2013 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
By the way, the really nice thing with these is you can take 5 cases to the range, along with a battery powered scale, and reload as you see fit. If you bring along a kinetic bullet puller (hammer) you can even fix your mistakes.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: New to reloading [message #23357 is a reply to message #23348] Tue, 23 July 2013 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunnysmarine is currently offline  sunnysmarine
My 2 cents... If thats all your going to load for 1 ONE cartridge then fine a few rounds a month ok, but if you even think your going to do more than one cartridge and get into hard to resize rounds look for someone selling off used stuff and buy up now.... IT'S ADDICTING try on here or look at OLDER gun/ sporting goods stores sometimes an unfortunate soul is giving up or worse, and you can make the most of your money.. The guy that comes along after me will be smilin Very Happy
Re: New to reloading [message #23373 is a reply to message #23345] Wed, 24 July 2013 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fishcoho is currently offline  fishcoho
Novice Contributor
Don't forget a dial caliper, case trimmer w/ correct pilots, case lube, and a reloading manual. I started reloading one calibur, now I have six different cal's. in the long run, it's hell of a lot cheaper making own rounds than buying off the shelf. Enjoy
Re: New to reloading [message #23413 is a reply to message #23373] Thu, 25 July 2013 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lepcur is currently offline  lepcur
Top Contributor
Hey Tim, I think I would go with the 460 s&w and if it kicks a little too much for you either load it down some or try the l.c. or casull. I've shot the last 2 and not bad at all but not sure on the 460.
Get yourself a good single stage press, dies, a scale and some lube and pad and have fun with it. If ya like it after awhile then you'll need a caliper, trimmer and maybe a powder measure.
I weigh all my rifle loads and use the measurer for pistol loads mostly, I usually set the mesurer to drop a little less than required then use the trickler to weigh my loads.
Have fun and be safe. Mike
Re: New to reloading [message #23573 is a reply to message #23413] Mon, 05 August 2013 11:09 Go to previous message
Culvercreek Hunt Club is currently offline  Culvercreek Hunt Club
Novice Contributor
FOr the game you mentioned don't count out traditional "rifle" calibers like the 308 Win. Especially if you are handloading becasue there is great data out there for reduced recoil loads. If you have a rifle in that caliber also it makes for great flexibility.

I use a Lee Turret press. I can load 125-150 357 mags in an hour with it or run it single stage gor the rifle rounds and it does everything I need especially since I am doing multiple calibers since I don't have to re set up dies.

All that aside get a good reloadign manual. READ IT FIRST. and then when you are done. read it again. That was the best advice given to me since I didn't even have anyone I knew that I could watch.

Good luck and have a ball!!
Previous Topic: 375 JDJ load data
Next Topic: Anyone reloading 357 MAX using H110 powder?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 19:25:31 EDT 2024