Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Reloading » Not sure if this belongs here (shipping primed brass)
Not sure if this belongs here [message #23384] Wed, 24 July 2013 21:12 Go to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

Or in the discussion section; I have several rounds of 300 Win Mag ammo that I inherited from my cousin. I do not have a 300 nor do I intend to get one. My question is; what is the rules for shipping primed ammo? I have no idea what the charge weight would be or what powder is used. I plan on pulling the bullets from the brass and dumping the powder in maw's flower garden. I see no need to waste the primers, and besides I don't like to deprime live primers anyway. I also have a pretty large amount of fired brass. I do not know how many times any of the brass has been loaded or fired. How is the best way to sell this 20, 50, or 100 at a time. I think all together there will be over 200 pieces. I will also have some, 220 swift brass, that I don't need either. I have a 22-250 already and don't need a 220 just because I have some brass (although that is a good excuse). Could you guys give me some guidence on selling and shipping the brass and bullets.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: Not sure if this belongs here [message #23386 is a reply to message #23384] Wed, 24 July 2013 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Primed brass has the same shipping restrictions as loaded ammo. No USPS.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Not sure if this belongs here [message #23392 is a reply to message #23386] Thu, 25 July 2013 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lepcur is currently offline  lepcur
Top Contributor
I use UPS for shipping ammo Murl. It has to go ground and needs a O-RMD sticker on the box, you can download them off your computer for free and print them out on some sticky back paper. Mike
Re: Not sure if this belongs here [message #23400 is a reply to message #23392] Thu, 25 July 2013 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

I am not going to try to sell this as ammo! This is reloaded ammo and I do not have any idea of the charge that is in them. I will pull the bullets and dump the powder. "I hate to waste powder, but have no idea of what the powder is". I don't want to try to sell this for the liability of it. I don't want someone blowing up a gun that may not have the same strength as his did. I will pull the bullets with a collet and try to salvage them as well. If you need 300 Win Mag brass and/or bullets let me know. The fired stuff I will throw in the tumbler for a while and clean it up. This was all fired from the same gun and my guess is it is twice fired. What is it worth and what are the bullets worth?

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: Not sure if this belongs here [message #23411 is a reply to message #23400] Thu, 25 July 2013 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lepcur is currently offline  lepcur
Top Contributor
The bullets aren't worth much because you don't know what they are. Do you know what primers are in the brass? If not then you might as well punch them out also as a handloader, if he comes up with a good load he may not be able to duplicate it as he doesn't know either. You'd probably be better off selling it loaded for someone to shoot up or just the brass.
JMO. Mike
Re: Not sure if this belongs here [message #23419 is a reply to message #23411] Fri, 26 July 2013 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
Once you have the bullets pulled, you could weigh them, then compare the pulled with photos from the different bullet outfits and guesstimate who's bullets they might be. The powder and primers would be much more difficult to ascertain both mfr. and if "magnum", benchrest, or "normal". Non-deteriorated powder is still a highly flammable solid, and thus capable of creating a large, hot fire if ignited. Dumping in Ma's flower garden *would* be a benefit to her IF you could deactivate it so it's no longer "flammable". Decapping live primers isn't a good idea. Too bad you don't have a chamber that may allow you to fire them off safely, ie a .338 win mag to fire off 300 win mag's. I see where you are going, don't want to see "good" items wasted; the logistics are the sticking point. With the unknowns, you're best option is focusing on just the bullets and bare brass, which looks like where you are aiming. Good luck
Jim
Re: Not sure if this belongs here [message #23514 is a reply to message #23419] Thu, 01 August 2013 18:44 Go to previous message
jmiles007 is currently offline  jmiles007
Novice Contributor
OR......you could just give them to me the next time I am coming down that way. Smile

On a serious note, I would like to meet you sometime just to compare notes on Thompsons and reloading in general. I live west of Hannibal.

Good luck with your "project".
Previous Topic: "Any Shot You Want"
Next Topic: 375 JDJ load data
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 04:03:33 EDT 2024