Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Reloading » A note on 470 Nitro Express dies
A note on 470 Nitro Express dies [message #24247] Sat, 14 September 2013 10:46 Go to next message
RD97 is currently offline  RD97
Novice Contributor
Although this may only be of interest to a handful of people on the planet (and nobody on the forum), I thought I'd share a brief observation on 470 NE seater dies in the hopes that a search engine will archive it for anyone who cares.

I recently purchased a Gary Reeder barrel in 470NE for my Encore, along with some Hornady reloading dies. You've probably seen these dies before, where they use a generic barrel, and a caliber specific insert; this allows them to keep the prices really low, and it seems to work well in most cases. HOWEVER, with a 3 1/4" case, the 470 is a little bit too long to fit all the way into the seater die. It can still work quite well, except that your press must be such that you can securely mount the die with at least 3/4" clearance between the die mouth and the shell-holder at the top of the press stroke. This is not possible with a Forster Co-ax press.
Fortunately for me, I was able to find an RCBS seater die -- it is much taller than the Hornady -- which allows me to use my press without requiring any hokey spacers or other jury-rigging.
If anyone happens to have tried any other makes of dies please chime in so that future reloaders won't have to do quite as much trial and error.
Thanks,
RD

PS. The 470 is a (literal and figurative) blast, though some others at the range complain of loose fillings after a few rounds!
Re: A note on 470 Nitro Express dies [message #24248 is a reply to message #24247] Sat, 14 September 2013 12:26 Go to previous message
sunnysmarine is currently offline  sunnysmarine
trial and error is half the fun... I've found similar with other tools Very Happy
Previous Topic: .357 mag loads
Next Topic: Hornady XTP-HP
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 05:42:17 EDT 2024