Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Reloading » Hornady XTP-HP (Over expansion)
Hornady XTP-HP [message #24284] Mon, 16 September 2013 15:23 Go to next message
Dima is currently offline  Dima
Novice Contributor
Hello has anyone else using hornady xtp pistol bullets had the jacket core separation issues?
I'm shooting 210gr xtp out of my 414 supermag and with the starting load the bullets break up upon impact at fifty yards into wet phone books. I've never had this problem with my 475 linebaugh using 400gr xtp's. Shocked
Re: Hornady XTP-HP [message #24302 is a reply to message #24284] Tue, 17 September 2013 10:32 Go to previous message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
I noticed that Hornady actually sells 475L loaded ammo with the 400XTP. That means the bullet was actually designed for the cartridge, so doesn't surprise me that it holds up a good bit better.

The 210 41 cal XTP was designed for 42 MAG velocities. The 414 Supermag pushes 30-06 pressures (and accompaning velocity) well in excess of what the 41 Mag can do. I'd suggest perhaps going to a solid copper type bullet if you don't want core/jacket sseperation issues. problem is finding someone who makes it. I know Barnes has solid copper in 180's, but don't know anyone who makes em in 210 or so weight range. Since there's no "normal" mfr for this caliber in a factory pistol round, there isn't much incentive for the bullet makers to offer one for something in the 414 SM range.
The 414 SM was designed by Gates as a "Ram killer", much farther than the 50 yards into wet phone books that you tried. Good luck with this one as a game killer, although your combo would be a good varmint killer, ought to really blow up a coyote!!
Jim
Previous Topic: A note on 470 Nitro Express dies
Next Topic: Well, I guess rainy days are good for something....
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 22:10:05 EDT 2024