Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » General Conversation » florida boar hunting (goin on family vaca wantin to sneak in a day)
florida boar hunting [message #24647] Mon, 07 October 2013 19:19 Go to next message
armalitedan1 is currently offline  armalitedan1
Novice Contributor
Going on family vacation to Disney at the end of October. I was looking online and I see that wild boar hunting doesn't require a license and I was thinking maybe I could sneak in a free day of tryin to shoot one. Once I started trying to understand the legality of such a move I became lost quick. I was wondering if someone that frequents this site could help point me in the right direction. Any help would be appreciated. Including telling me id be in over my head on public land. Due to the fact in used to Indiana corn field hunting and Id just be to far outta my league stumbling through the swamp.
Re: florida boar hunting [message #24648 is a reply to message #24647] Mon, 07 October 2013 19:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunnysmarine is currently offline  sunnysmarine
Geez I'd take any chance at a free pig hunt, and a good reason to get away hummm Rolling Eyes you can contact the local chamber of commerce they will be glad to help you out with information.

[Updated on: Mon, 07 October 2013 19:25]

Report message to a moderator

Re: florida boar hunting [message #24650 is a reply to message #24648] Mon, 07 October 2013 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
Sweet thanks for the heads up on that.
Re: florida boar hunting [message #24651 is a reply to message #24648] Mon, 07 October 2013 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kc2htv is currently offline  kc2htv
Forum Regular
Sunny is right. Another point of contact would be the DEC for the county you would hunt. I lived in Jacksonville and hunted the public land by Cecil Field Air Base. I wanted to hunt with pistol but the law required a long gun to be in your possesion. You could still harvest with a pistol but needed to have a shotgun or black powder rifle with you.
DEC can be looked up on the web from your home for rules of the hunt and what state lands are open for hog. They also have many acres of land that the stated leases hunting rights on for there hunters. These lands belong to the pulp and paper industry. Zone maps for this can also be found on their web site.
Good luck and great hunting!! Took me 6 months to get over the chigger bites that I took on that hunt, but worth every bite. Shocked

The barter system is alive and well, but the learning curve can be painful.

Certified NYS Hunter Safety Instructor.
Certified NYS Bow Hunter Safety Instructor.
Re: florida boar hunting [message #24654 is a reply to message #24651] Mon, 07 October 2013 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
You may not need a license to hunt Florida pigs, but prove to the Game Warden that you are hunting pigs instead of something else when he comes up and checks you. I hunted Florida for a great many years. Game Warden's were always nice, but always had a lot of questions. They may or may not believe you when you explain to them who you are and what you are doing. Personally, I wouldn't be caught in the woods with a gun or bow without some sort of license on me.

Black sticky swamp mud is hard to wash off, and it sometimes sinks you to your crotch when you are walking through there. Water moccasins, mosquitos, chiggers, huge spiders (and webs) and all kinds of nasty out there.

Pigs have great noses. We tried stalking them from the ground without a ground blind - didn't work. Tried hunting them in climbing stands - worked a little better. Tried hunting them out of my bass boat using only the trolling motor to push us around and then stop us completely before shooting from the water around a bend - worked best.

Learned my lesson about shooting big pigs in the sticky, nasty swamp mud - Shoot the little ones instead! We had to quarter a pig to get her out of the swamp because we couldn't move her. After that, we shot the little ones.

Good luck. But if it were me - choosing between Disney with the family, and going hunt hogs - I'd be posing with Mickey. And I love to hunt. If we were talking deer or something else, or going bass fishing, then that would be a different story. I always bring my pack rods with me to Disney, as the resorts we stay at always are on the water somewhere.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: florida boar hunting [message #24660 is a reply to message #24654] Tue, 08 October 2013 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doyle is currently offline  Doyle
Forum Regular
Glenn is right. You'll be here right in the middle of deer season. No way in the world that you would ever convice a game warden that you are "just hog hunting". Also, public land hog hunting is going to be pretty much non-existant. Most of the public lands that would be available are Wildlife Management Areas that will be doing deer hunts by draw. The only completely open place would be the Ocala National Forest and they don't have a huge hog population.

If you really want to hog hunt, your only viable option is a private land pay-hunt. Lot of them are within a couple of hours drive of Orlando. These hunts may not have a 100% guarantee but they normally have enough hogs around their feeders that you'll stand a good chance at a shot.

[Updated on: Tue, 08 October 2013 07:59]

Report message to a moderator

Re: florida boar hunting [message #24668 is a reply to message #24660] Tue, 08 October 2013 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
thanks for all your help guys i think you've answered all my questions by which i mean i think ill be better off just hangin with the family an takin it easy
Re: florida boar hunting [message #24672 is a reply to message #24668] Tue, 08 October 2013 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lepcur is currently offline  lepcur
Top Contributor
Ah, heck man don't let a few million critters scare ya off. LOL. Have fun at Disney world. Mike
Re: florida boar hunting [message #24676 is a reply to message #24672] Tue, 08 October 2013 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
i think the thought of being thigh deep in mud THEN finding one mighta woke me up a bit ha ha
Re: florida boar hunting [message #26382 is a reply to message #24647] Mon, 09 December 2013 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
christopher.gibbons1@gmai
Don't know a thing about FLA shameless, but if things like hog hunting are part of your family trips, how about adopting this gray beard old timer. LOL

Bolt & Ball Hunter
Re: florida boar hunting [message #26388 is a reply to message #26382] Tue, 10 December 2013 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
shouldn't have a problem with cold feet/toes

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: florida boar hunting [message #26744 is a reply to message #26388] Sun, 22 December 2013 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mjgonehunting is currently offline  mjgonehunting
Forum Regular
I'ld choose black smelly mud and spiders over the Disney empty your wallet quick scene any time!
Crowds make me nervous,especially at places that don't allow me my god given right to protect myself!
Last I knew Disney was a gun free zone!
You couldn't pay me enough to go there!
Previous Topic: our group
Next Topic: Do your toes / feet ever get cold while hunting?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 19:14:34 EDT 2024