Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Reloading » Well, I guess rainy days are good for something.... (.300 AAC Blackout)
Well, I guess rainy days are good for something.... [message #24775] Sun, 13 October 2013 23:02 Go to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
I've had these .300 AAC Blackout components on my reloading bench forever.

I had started to reload a chain, working my way up from 17 to 17.8 grains in .2 grain increments with 10 rounds each before I figured out something was wrong with my brass at the start of the 17.2 set. On some, the case mouths were bulging where the bullets were seated. You could see where the bullet seating stopped. Shocked

Lesson learned - "Fully formed and ready to reload" brass.... is a myth. Rolling Eyes I'm still fairly new to reloading, and so when someone offered the above in brass, I thought "Great! Less work!" The thought process was that if someone had reformed .223 brass into .300 AAC, then they had to go through all the work - cutting, necking up, etc... The first thing I did was check the brass for cleanliness, and then I did a length check with my calipers on several of the pieces. Everything seemed to check out. WRONG. Don't know why - but the necks were way tighter than they should have been.

I've already been scolded by a reloading friend. Never, ever, ever, load brass that you haven't personally gone over, checked, resized if necessary, etc...

So, I popped all of the primers out and started over again like it was once fired brass that needed to be fully done. The finished product was re-primed, along with 50 additional pieces, and sat on my workbench forever.

Rainy day today, so I broke out the equipment, closed the door, and got to it.

The result - 99 pieces of .300 AAC Blackout (one primer pocket issue), loaded with 125 grain Sierra ProHunter bullets. They chamber beautifully and are as perfect as I've ever made. Took forever, but it's done. 20 round each, working it's way from 17 grains to 17.8 grains. I can't wait to get to the range now. Then I can start all over with another batch once I figure out what shoots best! Very Happy

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/cajuntec/photo-45_zpsb160d9a3.jpg

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: Well, I guess rainy days are good for something.... [message #24781 is a reply to message #24775] Mon, 14 October 2013 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

Glenn
I too learned a lesson many years ago. I clean, resize, and closely check every piece of brass that I get. Even factory new brass gets checked closly. Cracked necks, and a multitude of different ailments will find a way to jump up and bight me in the butt if I don't cut it off at the pass. Actually new brass has always been the worst for me. I always go by the old computer rule. GIGO (garbage in garbage out). Good luck, God bless.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: Well, I guess rainy days are good for something.... [message #24783 is a reply to message #24781] Mon, 14 October 2013 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Yep, been there too. The least I do to any new brass is:
1) inspect them inside and out. You can find just about anything in a case.
2) check the headstamps. Firing a max 44 mag load using a 41 mag case can make the knees tremble - ask me how I know
3) neck size the case at the minimum.

used brass is full length resized the first time

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Well, I guess rainy days are good for something.... [message #24791 is a reply to message #24783] Mon, 14 October 2013 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Mr. Murl / Crubear,

I've got a bunch of new brass, but the only reloading I've done in the past is with stuff I've processed myself (used). Glad I learned my lesson on this with some relatively inexpensive bulk resized brass before tearing into my new stuff, as I'm going to load some .357 Max soon, and that brass took a while to get my hands on so I wouldn't want mess it up.

When I got the bulk brass (I bought 500 pieces), I inspected each one by hand and found about 15-20 that weren't perfect. Even after removing those, I still had over 500 pieces. The headstamps are all Lake City brass, although they are from different lots / years. Of the ones I culled, these were the worst looking ones. I didn't throw them out, as I wanted to ask someone if these should be tossed, or if they can still be used. I'm leaning towards tossing them, but hate to waste brass these days. What do you think?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/cajuntec/photo-47_zps6f0cf819.jpg

All the best,
Glenn

[Updated on: Mon, 14 October 2013 11:28]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Well, I guess rainy days are good for something.... [message #24793 is a reply to message #24791] Mon, 14 October 2013 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Can't tell too much on my screen, but if they are just dents then load them up. The first firing will fix that with no problem.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Well, I guess rainy days are good for something.... [message #24794 is a reply to message #24793] Mon, 14 October 2013 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
That's all they are - just dents. I had also heard from someone else saying that if they were just dents, that the first firing would take care of it. Just wanted to verify. I just didn't want to use these for load development. I'll keep them in a separate pile and load them up later. Thanks!
All the best,
Glenn

[Updated on: Mon, 14 October 2013 11:55]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Well, I guess rainy days are good for something.... [message #24802 is a reply to message #24794] Mon, 14 October 2013 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Use the for your starting loads and early sight ins, that way you get a quick pressure and sight test in while "fixing" the dents.

Re: Well, I guess rainy days are good for something.... [message #24811 is a reply to message #24802] Mon, 14 October 2013 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
About ready to start a new post. Just got an email from someone trying to help me out, and I'm a little concerned now. Probably will be pulling bullets soon. Dang.
All the best,
Glenn

Re: Well, I guess rainy days are good for something.... [message #24834 is a reply to message #24783] Tue, 15 October 2013 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
Crubear wrote on Mon, 14 October 2013 09:22
Yep, been there too. The least I do to any new brass is:
1) inspect them inside and out. You can find just about anything in a case.
2) check the headstamps. Firing a max 44 mag load using a 41 mag case can make the knees tremble - ask me how I know
3) neck size the case at the minimum.

used brass is full length resized the first time

Try 45 colt in 44 mag brass. I fired it anyway just to see in my .454 rifle, just split the case, but didn't seem to cause any danger. Oh wait, it was a light cowboy load. If it had been max, would have been very dangerous.
Re: Well, I guess rainy days are good for something.... [message #24835 is a reply to message #24793] Tue, 15 October 2013 13:07 Go to previous message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
Crubear wrote on Mon, 14 October 2013 11:50
Can't tell too much on my screen, but if they are just dents then load them up. The first firing will fix that with no problem.

Yep, figured this out after I started loading 7-30 waters from 30-30 brass. The pressure takes care of any dents or double shoulders as it fits the cartridge to your chamber. Smile

I do however resize every piece of brass that came from someone else before I load. I recently got some 6.5x55 brass from a guy and I swear he deprimed it with a smaller caliber die, looked like it was partial necksized with a 6mm sized die or something.
Previous Topic: Hornady XTP-HP
Next Topic: Hornady Interlock bullets
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 18:37:02 EDT 2024