Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » General Conversation » Classifieds observation.....
Classifieds observation..... [message #24792] Mon, 14 October 2013 11:45 Go to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Granted, I've had older threads that someone went back and found in the classifieds list, but... If you are selling something and it hasn't sold for a couple weeks, taking it to the top (TTT or bump) isn't going to help if your price is too high. After a while I tend to stop paying any attention to updates on that add and will probably miss it when you finally do get around to lowering the price. Granted, it's a way to get your post count up, but still.... If you haven't sold it after a couple weeks and you aren't going to lower the price give it a rest Wink (Saying this as a private citizen)

A good indication that the price is more than someone wants to pay is after one or two early PMs about information you didn't include the only posts are your TTTs. I don't think you have to stop folks, but sometimes it's helped me when someone pointed things out clearly.

While I'm at it, what is it about round counts (which I try to give anyway)? I know you could shoot out some of the Encore rounds (22-250, 220 Swift, any of the rifle magnums), but short of the 22-250 who's going to shoot something that much? Has anyone ever seen a shot out Encore barrel? I've seen mistreated barrels, abused barrels, but never a shot out barrel. They've all been bright and shiny once cleaned. (By the way, if you send me a barrel then make it a clean barrel).

And asking for pictures of barrels in great shape? I can't tell you how many barrels I've seen in 30 years of TC shooting (man, that hurt) and they all look the same - variations by type of course. They have the same moon scrapes, the same lugs, etc.... Now, if you say it's got some unusual marks/damage, then put a picture up. OK, maybe I'll give this to the picture requestors, it's better to see a problem before you've paid and received it, but still...

(Wondering if I should have put this up after I've sold off six barrels, two stock sets, two stainless frames, 9 scopes, and five base and ring sets)

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!

[Updated on: Mon, 14 October 2013 11:47]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Classifieds observation..... [message #24797 is a reply to message #24792] Mon, 14 October 2013 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Crubear,
Good points all around, particularly the round count one. But there are always extenuating circumstances. People can be finicky, and a lot of us on this board already have quite a collection. I've seen tons of .45-70's, muzzleloader, 7mm-08, etc... on the board and nobody is buying, even though some are at what I consider to be a decent price. I've been lucky enough to pick up some very good calibers in excellent condition barrels for $150 - $180, but I've also come out of pocket for almost what a new retail barrel would be because I couldn't find it anywhere else and the one posted was in excellent condition. So just because the only replies are "TTT", it doesn't necessarily mean the price is too high. It could just be that most people here already have that caliber, or really don't want a particular caliber (wildcat, huge hand cannon, etc...)

I do have to chuckle at some of the posts though. Barrels posted for twice what they cost retail just because you can't find that particular barrel anymore really gets me laughing. Someone might buy it, but I'd be willing to bet it's going to have a lot of TTT replies from the originator before they finally either give up, lower the price, or take it off the market.

Round counts. I've posted about this before. Nice to know on a barrel that has a lot of miles on it. But if the barrel is in "excellent, almost new condition" or "very light frame marks", you can pretty much rest assured that it hasn't had a ton of rounds through it. At least not enough to shoot it out. You're going to see heavier frame marks on those from all the opening and closing. I'm also in agreement here - I've never seen, nor owned, a shot-out Encore barrel. I've heard of some issues with 22-250's, but that's about it. I never really desired that caliber, so it never affected me.

Pictures - Side views are pretty much useless unless it's pointing out a flaw. They all look the same. I can post a generic pic of a 24" or 26" or fluted 26" or 28" barrel on here, and with the exception of muzzleloaders, you probably couldn't tell one from the other. If someone asks for pictures, post the ones that count - the muzzle crown, lug area, extractor, bore, and if there is any damage / rust - post that as well. Especially pits. Those are the important pictures.

OK - Public service announcements complete for Monday. On to selling! (and buying) Smile

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: Classifieds observation..... [message #24807 is a reply to message #24797] Mon, 14 October 2013 17:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

Gentlemen;
All good points and advice that we all should follow. I for one am glad to see this posted. Thanks
Mr. Murl

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: Classifieds observation..... [message #24809 is a reply to message #24807] Mon, 14 October 2013 18:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Couple other things

1) If you're selling a barrel with a scope base on it, make it a habit to take the base off before you list. I can't tell you how many times I've brought home used barrels that dropped from nearly new to very good because of what was hidden under the scope base.

2) Of all the neat places to clean and protect on your Encore, don't forget to pull and clean the firing pin. Yep, that likes to rust too.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Classifieds observation..... [message #24884 is a reply to message #24809] Thu, 17 October 2013 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chimo is currently offline  chimo
Forum Newbie
All good points. As for the pictures, I'm new to buying things off line like this classifieds section and just seeing an actual picture gives me a little more assuance that someones not playing games.

Chimo
Re: Classifieds observation..... [message #24885 is a reply to message #24884] Thu, 17 October 2013 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Yeah Chimo, I understand it too, which is why I provide them (Customer is always right).

Unfortunately the things that would stop me buying are general the thins someone takes pictures of.

Re: Classifieds observation..... [message #24886 is a reply to message #24885] Thu, 17 October 2013 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

I made a mistake of buying a frame and took the seller's word for it. When I got the frame; the seller had taken a file and tried to cut checkering in the flats of the G2 and over the top of the breach block. It was nasty and had not even cleaned the filings out of the action. When I tried to talk to him I could not get a response. If I had seen pictures I would not have paid for such a screwed up frame. The frame works and is fine to shoot it just looks nasty and I can never sell it, for at least what it should be worth. But I really don't intend to sell it anyway. I have bought a bunch of barrels sight unseen and not had a problem.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: Classifieds observation..... [message #24919 is a reply to message #24886] Sat, 19 October 2013 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
birddog is currently offline  birddog
Forum Regular
When I sell something, I always post pictures ,probably more than necessary, but I want the buyer to know what he is getting from me because myself as a buyer, I want to know what I getting. When I am selling something I always try to put myself in the buyers shoes and provide all the information, weather it be good or bad, for buyer. A prime example is what happened to Mr.Murl on that G2 frame. My feelings is that it is part of being a responsible seller to post pictures, rather than everyone having to request them. I don't know about the rest of you guys on here, but my money is to hard to come by to overpay for something. If I feel someone is too high on their asking price and we can't make a deal that we are both comfortable with then I move on and no hard feelings. That's my 2 cents worth on the subject.
Re: Classifieds observation..... [message #24983 is a reply to message #24919] Tue, 22 October 2013 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wilyote is currently offline  Wilyote
Novice Contributor
I try to take the best pictures possible. It bugs me when I see some out of focus picture on something I may be interested in. Do yourself a favor, take decent pictures and put something in the picture like a dime or a penny for perspectives.

I recently bought an MGM 257 Bob barrel off an auction site. The owner claimed it was new. My gun cleaning session on this barrel told a different story. After questioning the seller, he said it was new to him. He said he bought it off a guy with an FFL. The barrel was clean otherwise. It shot good once it was cleaned. The previous shooter needs a lesson on how to clean encores. Bottom line tell the truth. Karma is a bitch.

Another "New" barrel I bought had a bubba owner. The guy took a file to the chambers face. I cleaned the barrel up but got a discount after calling the guy out.

You are so right about scope mounts ruining a finish.
Re: Classifieds observation..... [message #24984 is a reply to message #24983] Tue, 22 October 2013 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Yeah, I sit here and make it a point to post pictures (big clear ones), so I'll take that one back.

When I see a barrel with a scope base on it, I automatically assume there's at least marks on the barrel. I don't care, I scope everything (darn transition lenses).

I did get a new pet peeve this weekend. Traded for a barrel and it arrived in a great scope box. Opened up my new to me treasure and there was a broken locking lug sitting in the bottom. Guy who sent it asked if the box was damaged.... really?

[Updated on: Tue, 22 October 2013 13:31]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Classifieds observation..... [message #24986 is a reply to message #24984] Tue, 22 October 2013 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunnysmarine is currently offline  sunnysmarine
You know I almost said something in response and thought better, I normally just yell at the screen or the box that was not secured or lack of packing material. But realize after 40 years of dealing with people (customers) aint no changing them..... so when I go back to the top or ask for a photo or round count or please over pack my new TOY ... just yell back at me too.......
Re: Classifieds observation..... [message #24989 is a reply to message #24986] Tue, 22 October 2013 14:42 Go to previous message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Naaaah, too much work Wink Pet peeves are pet peeves. If I'm selling and you want to see something I'm going to do it and sound happy while I'm doing it. After all, your money, your rules.

Previous Topic: Newbie to forum
Next Topic: Newbie to forum, question?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 02:36:33 EDT 2024