Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Reloading » Differences in same grain bullets - Differences in loading (sometimes) (Questions - Confusion)
Differences in same grain bullets - Differences in loading (sometimes) [message #24814] Mon, 14 October 2013 19:53 Go to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
OK - Here's the deal. I've got just about every reloading manual I could get my hands on. I've got Lyman, Hornady, Speer, Lee, and downloads from Hodgdon. I've crossed referenced stuff, and see variations in loading manuals all the time, so I err on the side of caution and load conservatively.

Well, Hornady's manual list reloading data by bullet grain - not exactly just by type. For example, for a 6.8 SPC, using a Hornady 130 grain bullet, whether it is a GMX, SST, IB, or SP (all very different bullets - three have boat tails, one has flat base; three have ballistic tips, one has a soft point; two have cannelures, two don't, ect....) - there is one set of reloading data. They list powder down one side, and velocity across the top, with 4 steps of grains powder.

.300 AAC data is difficult to find, but it's getting better. When I was looking for data to load 125 grain Sierra ProHunters, Sierra had nothing listed. I looked all over and found several people talking about using it in their rifles, so I asked where they were getting reloading data. I was told to look in the Hodgdon listing, and use the data for the Nosler BT, so that is what I found and used. I decided on Lil' Gun, as I didn't want to start with 296 or H110, even though I had plenty of that on hand. Minimum was 16.9 and max was 18, so I loaded steps from 17, 17.2, 17.4, 17.6, and 17.8. I FINALLY got everything loaded, and posted about it recently in this same forum.

Today I receive an email from someone asking what powder I was using. When I replied Lil'Gun, he referenced me to a fairly new (July 17th, 2013) listing on Sierra's website, located here: http://sierrabullets.wordpress.com/2013/07/17/300-aac-blacko ut-medium-length-gas-tube/

Now my problem is this - I now have data from the bullet manufacturer, using the bullet and powder that I planned to use, and the weapon they tested it in is the weapon I'm going to use - an AR with a Carbine length gas tube (I have an adjustable gas block as well). But the MAX is only 17.2 grains of Lil'Gun!!! I have 60 rounds loaded from 17.4 to 17.8 grains of Lil'Gun. Mad

Pull bullets, dump powder, and start all over on those 60 (or 80 - Should I pull the max loads as well?)

Dang it. I feel like I'm never going to get these loaded and tested, and right now, my confidence in some of the reloading manuals is waning. I know, I know... put it away for the day and start over again later when I'm no longer frustrated.

Should I pull 60 bullets or 80 bullets (80 includes the max load 17.2 grain loads)?

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!

[Updated on: Mon, 14 October 2013 20:01]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Differences in same grain bullets - Differences in loading (sometimes) [message #24815 is a reply to message #24814] Mon, 14 October 2013 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Call Sierra and see what they have to say

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Differences in same grain bullets - Differences in loading (sometimes) [message #24816 is a reply to message #24815] Mon, 14 October 2013 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunnysmarine is currently offline  sunnysmarine
Ain't reloading great !!!! Hornady uses caution in there load data, compared to Hogdon sometimes as much as 5 grains more for the same components ughhhhh Mad Very Happy I'm sure they do this on purpose
Re: Differences in same grain bullets - Differences in loading (sometimes) [message #24819 is a reply to message #24815] Mon, 14 October 2013 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Crubear wrote on Mon, 14 October 2013 20:12
Call Sierra and see what they have to say

I'll probably do that tomorrow.
All the best,
Glenn

Re: Differences in same grain bullets - Differences in loading (sometimes) [message #24820 is a reply to message #24816] Mon, 14 October 2013 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
sunnysmarine wrote on Mon, 14 October 2013 20:22
Ain't reloading great !!!! Hornady uses caution in there load data, compared to Hogdon sometimes as much as 5 grains more for the same components ughhhhh Mad Very Happy I'm sure they do this on purpose

Here is what scares me the most about that - Quite a few of these loads have a warning about a minimum that you are recommended to not go under. I've heard about bad things with Win 296 / H110 if you go below the minimums as well. That doesn't leave much "wiggle room" if Hornady is going extremely conservative in their load data.

All the best,
Glenn

Re: Differences in same grain bullets - Differences in loading (sometimes) [message #24899 is a reply to message #24820] Thu, 17 October 2013 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Called Sierra yesterday and talked to a very nice gentleman. He told me there has been a lot of discussion over the .300 AAC, and that the figures posted on Sierras site are "very conservative" and the reason for the reduced load of Lil'Gun had more to do with the length of the gas tube on the AR they tested it in. When I told him what I had loaded and that my rifle has an adjustable gas block, he said I should have no problems with anything I loaded and to go ahead and shoot them. However, he still recommended starting at the bottom and working my way up, looking for signs of overpressure (as usual). So I'm good to go.
All the best,
Glenn

Re: Differences in same grain bullets - Differences in loading (sometimes) [message #24905 is a reply to message #24899] Fri, 18 October 2013 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
One of the reasons I really like Sierra

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Differences in same grain bullets - Differences in loading (sometimes) [message #25033 is a reply to message #24814] Thu, 24 October 2013 00:55 Go to previous message
himark is currently offline  himark
Novice Contributor
I wouldn't pull anything i have alot of loads above the book max i am not saying i recommend it but there are a lot of variables coil legenth, neck tension, primers are some that can change pressure . I would start by loading 10 more rounds the same seating depth form say 16.5 or so and up in 1 or 2 tenth a grain at a time. watch for pressure signs you might be suprised on where your max actually is. This is how i usually start new loads 10 or 20 at a time but i am not usually looking for max but best group once i get that then i mess with seating depth to see if i can get a little tighter. As far as reloading books go it is amazing how far off one book can be from another i look at them as a starting point.
Previous Topic: Anyone reloading?
Next Topic: 38-55 Encore T/C Custom Shop
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 17:21:45 EDT 2024