Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » General Conversation » Newbie to forum, question?
icon14.gif  Newbie to forum, question? [message #25016] Wed, 23 October 2013 12:46 Go to next message
Gfrost is currently offline  Gfrost
Forum Newbie
I have been hanging out on the Long Range Hunting forum and thought that I should do a search for an encore/contender forum and low and behold here you are!!! I think that I have a new hang out!!

I have owned a contender for many years and also have an encore. I am currently without an encore barrel and would really like a very accurate 22 barrel. So which 22 would you all recommend, I would really like a 22 mag that is reloadable? So which one is close to that, 22 hornet/khornet?

Gary
Re: Newbie to forum, question? [message #25025 is a reply to message #25016] Wed, 23 October 2013 19:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

Gary;
First let me welcome you to the finest forum on the net. It it pertains to T/C products it can't be beat for information or advice. Hang on to your wallet though because hanging around here proves to be costly. There is no cure for Contenderitis or Encoreitis. They are not fatal but do lead to lean wallets.
As for the 22 barrel, any of the custom manufacturers can make you an exceptional barrel. The T/C barrels are great but are hard to find anymore, out there but rare. Contender barrels are more available from T/C brand.
I am personally partial to 221 Fireball in my Contender both short and long barrels. I am sure you will have plenty of advice on a 22 centerfire. Welcome pull up a stool and hold on to your wallet. Enjoy.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: Newbie to forum, question? [message #25029 is a reply to message #25025] Wed, 23 October 2013 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
Gary,
First, welcome to the group. You mentioned the .22mag, so I assume you mean the .22 WMR, a mag version of the .22short/Long/long rifle (and family) clan. There's a HOST of .22 cal's available in centerfires, and it just depends on how "MAG" you want to go. If you prefer to stick to the .223 bores like the rimfire versions, the reloadable .22 hornet family is available: .22 Hoenet, K-Hornet, and AI (ackley improved). In a .224 barrel, a lot more can be found: .221 fireball, .222, .223, .222rem mag, 5.6X56R, .225 Win,22-250, 220Swift, 22X30-30 and AI version, and some wild-cats and others scattered in there.

Any of the hornets and the .221 is about as close (actually more) than the .22wmr and all reloadable.

So, basically you can go through quite an assortment depending on just how "MAG" you want to go.

Jim
Re: Newbie to forum, question? [message #25034 is a reply to message #25029] Thu, 24 October 2013 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Welcome to the group. Like they said above, if you're looking for a 22mag level velocity and reloadable, then the 22 Hornet is the way to go. One warning, the hornet does not do well if you try to load it to 223 velocities. The brass case will give up after a couple loadings. If you want 223 level velocities then go with the 221 or 223. If you're looking for a low recoil round, then the Hornet is definitely it.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Newbie to forum, question? [message #25066 is a reply to message #25034] Fri, 25 October 2013 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
Thank you for the responses guys it sound like the hornet or a version of it is what I am after!
What is the Khornet like to form/load etc.?
Re: Newbie to forum, question? [message #25068 is a reply to message #25066] Sat, 26 October 2013 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
K-Hornet is a simple put a loaded round in and pull the trigger

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Newbie to forum, question? [message #25069 is a reply to message #25068] Sat, 26 October 2013 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

Just put a standard loaded Hornet round in and shoot. Fire formed and then neck size and you are good to go. Work up your loads in the K slow and deliberate, for the Hornet and especially the K go from good to over pressure in a hurry.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: Newbie to forum, question? [message #25091 is a reply to message #25069] Sat, 26 October 2013 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lepcur is currently offline  lepcur
Top Contributor
Welcome Gary, I think you'll like here. Mike
Re: Newbie to forum, question? [message #25179 is a reply to message #25091] Tue, 29 October 2013 19:58 Go to previous message
Forum Newbie
Thank you all for the reply's, that is what I thought as far as the forming just wanted to confirm.

I think that I have decided to pick up a .357 Max barrel first and play with that, just seems like a fun round to play with and have in the truck at all time's, easy to reload etc.

Looking forward to hanging out here!!!
Previous Topic: Classifieds observation.....
Next Topic: My son is in bad shape
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 23:06:09 EDT 2024