Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Reloading » Need help with removing .223 crimp
Need help with removing .223 crimp [message #25590] Sun, 17 November 2013 23:50 Go to next message
egoredayooper is currently offline  egoredayooper
Forum Newbie
Just getting back into handloading after long layoff and bought 223 lc brass with
crimped primers. What are you folks using to remove crimps at pockets? Seen one dude using tapered countersink tool in an electric drill motor, but I am worried about tapering primer pocket with that. Don't want to spend 100 bucks just to remove crimp.. any suggestions?

[Updated on: Mon, 18 November 2013 07:53] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: need help [message #25591 is a reply to message #25590] Mon, 18 November 2013 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
I use an RCBS case prep tool with the crimp remover bit, but before that, I used to cramp my hands up by manually doing it with a hand tool from Hornady.

This is the manual tool: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/501588/

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: need help [message #25603 is a reply to message #25591] Mon, 18 November 2013 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunnysmarine is currently offline  sunnysmarine
The cutters from Hornady are the easiest if your doing small amounts less set up and shorter learning curve, I have and use both thousands of times the cutter I have mounted in my RCBS case prep center (I know cheating) sometimes even a factory case needs a little help, The cutter can over cut or cut out of square when used by hand on large jobs the hand cramping thing. just spend more money and have both Rolling Eyes
Re: need help [message #25675 is a reply to message #25603] Wed, 20 November 2013 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shyoldman is currently offline  Shyoldman
Forum Newbie
I have the RCBS primer pocket die. Mosy of the time I use my chamfer tool and just cut it away.
Re: need help [message #25697 is a reply to message #25675] Wed, 20 November 2013 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
egoredayooper is currently offline  egoredayooper
Forum Newbie
Thanks guys..I just order hand tool..will give that a try until hand gives out!
Re: need help [message #25705 is a reply to message #25697] Thu, 21 November 2013 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
This kit works best for me. It handles both small and large primers and I use it on 5.56 and .308 LC brass.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/235832/rcbs-primer-pocket-s wager-combo-2
You need a single stage press to use it though. It is much faster than the cutter tool.
Re: need help [message #25708 is a reply to message #25705] Thu, 21 November 2013 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

I have an old Pacific press that was tight and strong. I used a primer pocket swager die and worked on about 500 or 600 5.56 brass and now the press is a little loose. Still works well but is not as tight as it was before. I will just go ahead with the chamfer tool in drill. Does not take much effort and just a touch and the pocket is good to go.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: need help [message #26425 is a reply to message #25708] Wed, 11 December 2013 10:39 Go to previous message
bstewrat3 is currently offline  bstewrat3
Forum Newbie
I use the Dillon Super Swage and it does a great job, but if you are only going to do a limited amount of cases it isn't very cost effective. I need to get some more brass to justify it's existence on my bench.
Previous Topic: Leverevolution powder
Next Topic: Minimalist Reloading - Part 1
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 13:48:22 EDT 2024