Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Reloading » Minimalist Reloading - Part 1
Minimalist Reloading - Part 1 [message #25682] Wed, 20 November 2013 16:40 Go to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
OK, I'm getting ready to put together a "How to Reload with the LEAST amount of STUFF" thread. Before I do that though, I want to set things up.

1) Who should reload? Anyone who likes to shoot, knows how to OBEY the rules, and will PAY ATTENTION to what they're doing.

2) When it comes to equipment it IS OPINION on what is best and what is crap. Understand? Just because someone likes the fit and feel of Redding does not mean that LEE dies are bad. All of the major die/equipment manufactures make great stuff PERIOD!!!! Go with what YOU like!!!! I've owned Lee, Redding, Hornady, Lyman, Pacific, and RCBS and each one has given me a loaded round that went BANG when I pulled the trigger and all of them hit what the barrel was aimed at. (This is in my NOT SO HUMBLE OPINION)

3) Take your time, pay attention, and be V-E-R-Y methodical. There are slick techniques, but there are no shortcuts. It isn't how fast you can do it, it's how right you can do it.

4) YOU are responsible for YOUR safety. If you have a candle out while you measure powder it's your choice. We can't control stupid. There are no OLD, BOLD reloaders.

OK, here are the things you'll need to start reloading

1) Reloading manuals: Come in all shapes and sizes. There are binders, books, pamphlets, and web pages. They contain all kinds of useful and technical information that you can use to get the most out of reloading. The two best manuals I've found for new reloaders are the Lee and Lyman. Both are set up to TEACH new reloaders the what and the why of what you're doing. They're also great for teaching the experienced new things. They are required because you don't want to:
-- Leave a bullet in the barrel
-- Blow up the firearm
-- Kill or Injure Bystanders
-- Kill or Injure YOURSELF

DO NOT EVER reload from memory, or a log. ALWAYS check the manual before you start measuring powder, and check it again when you log the load.

One MAJOR warning!!!! The age of the manual is important. Old manuals may have data that was considered safe when the manual was written, but either new technology determined that the load was unsafe or the component may have changed. The only time to use an old manual is when you have an obsolete cartridge to load for or for a fun read.

2) Dies: I'm going with the Lee Classic Loader Dies (I call them hammer and go) because there isn't a simpler set out there to use. They only neck size, so you don't need a lubricant. For putting together accurate rounds, well, a set of these dies put together the ammo used to set a benchrest record that held for over 7 years.

3) Scales: There are two types for our use, digital and balance beam. I like digital, they are fast and easy. Others like the balance beam. There are pros and cons for either. If you're a prepper, get the balance beam, if you like easy get the digital.

4) Case Trimmer: for this I'm going with the Lee trimmer. You buy the case length gauge in one pack and the trimmer and screwdriver attachment in another. There is nothing easier or less expensive than this set. You DO NOT want to trim a large number of cases this way -- 50 is a lot.

5) Components: because you can't cook without the ingredients.... Use what the manual says it used (there are exceptions, but we'll grow into that).
--- Brass cases
--- Powder
--- Bullets
--- Primers

The following items are OPTIONAL, but experience has taught me to have them.....
6 - Spiral notebook: Write it down. Track it all. Keep it handy.
7 - Pencil: because a crayon is so much harder, and pens cause mistakes.
8 - Powder Funnel: You have to have some way to get the powder into the case.
9 - Reloading Trays: are convenient, and they make keeping track of cases easy. 1 = Good, 2 = Better
10 - Rag: You never know when you're going to need to wipe something down.
11 - 0000 Steel Wool: Cleaning brass has never been so easy.
12 - Chamfer Tool: to make seating bullets easy and clean up after case trimming.
13 - Electric Screwdriver: More power is a good thing Wink Trust me.
14 - Hammer, plastic kind. Not really optional, you need it for the Lee Die set
15 - Primer Tray: A plastic lid will serve as well, but the tray will flip all the primers up and has a lid to keep them trapped.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!

[Updated on: Wed, 20 November 2013 16:51]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Minimalist Reloading - Part 1 [message #26426 is a reply to message #25682] Wed, 11 December 2013 10:47 Go to previous message
bstewrat3 is currently offline  bstewrat3
Forum Newbie
Nice write up. I started with a Lee Loader in 22-250 and quickly realized that although the powder scoop worked, I was leaving alot of potential velocity and accuracy untapped. My next purchase was a Pacific balance beam scale. I still have the scale and have since moved up to more time efficient loading tools. One of the things I did with the Lee Loader was use a C-clamp instead of the hammer to perform the resizing.
Previous Topic: Need help with removing .223 crimp
Next Topic: HELP!!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 12:08:02 EDT 2024