Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Reloading » Walnut or Corn Cob media?
Walnut or Corn Cob media? [message #27652] Mon, 20 January 2014 14:14 Go to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
I'm not interested in the newer stainless steel pin systems, as I already have a sonic cleaner that I use before my vibratory system, and I don't want to buy a tumbler. Just not worth the expense for what I reload.

I've been using corn cob media for a while now with really good results. I previously used Hornady polish with it, but recently switched to the Flitz polish and it seems to work better. I get shinier brass.

What would be the advantages / disadvantages to using walnut media?

I don't need to switch. Just mulling over options to see if there is anything better I can use with my current system.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: Walnut or Corn Cob media? [message #27654 is a reply to message #27652] Mon, 20 January 2014 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
I have both walnut and corn cob, call it a good day at the store when I was buying.

What I was taught is to use walnut for the first cleaning, no polish needed. Deprime, lube, size. Then use Corn cob with polish for the finishing touch. For those concerned about denting the necks, I use a Midway setup and it's never been a problem. While taking the brass out I have a pick handy to punch out stuck grains from the flash hole.

worked for me all these years at any rate.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Walnut or Corn Cob media? [message #27655 is a reply to message #27654] Mon, 20 January 2014 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Thanks for the reply. So if I understand what you are doing correctly, I am doing something similar with the sonic cleaner for the initial clean. Except I deprime first, then sonic clean, dry, then polish with the corn cob media in the vibratory cleaner. I also use a pick for the flash hole as well.
All the best,
Glenn

Re: Walnut or Corn Cob media? [message #27656 is a reply to message #27655] Mon, 20 January 2014 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Yep, and I deprime first too (Lee decapping die)

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Walnut or Corn Cob media? [message #27661 is a reply to message #27656] Mon, 20 January 2014 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
I love my Lee decapping die. It keeps everything else clean. My son likes using it too. I'll set him up with a pile of brass and the Lee decapping die in the press and he just goes like a machine until everything is decapped.
All the best,
Glenn

Re: Walnut or Corn Cob media? [message #27684 is a reply to message #27661] Mon, 20 January 2014 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lepcur is currently offline  lepcur
Top Contributor
I de-prime first also and use walnut media in my homemade tumbler. I would think that the cob would polish better and the walnut would work better for the initial cleaning and I use the dryer sheets for collecting the dust and add a little auto polish to the mixture.
Mike
Re: Walnut or Corn Cob media? [message #28927 is a reply to message #27684] Wed, 19 February 2014 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
diego is currently offline  diego
Forum Newbie
Lepcur don't you find to use the walnut on what I would call the extreme dirty and the corncob on not so dirty?

It's A Dry Heat
Re: Walnut or Corn Cob media? [message #29011 is a reply to message #28927] Sat, 22 February 2014 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
Just picked up a 25lb box of walnut media at Harbor Freight tools for $9.99 on the clearance rack. Gonna have to try it out on some dirty pistol brass. I have only ever used corn cob media.
Re: Walnut or Corn Cob media? [message #29017 is a reply to message #29011] Sat, 22 February 2014 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kc2htv is currently offline  kc2htv
Forum Regular
When I was stationed at Jacksonville Fla and Brunswick Me. we used to run crushed walnut shell down our T56 Turbo prop engines to clean the compressor blades. It was in abundance so I used it for my shell cleaning both brass and shotshell's. With a bit of powdered Jewlers Rouge it worked amazingly well. Most folks with carbide dies did not clean their nickle plated stuff like .357 pistol rounds, but I did after de-priming. They looked impressive. Doubt they shot any better, but sometimes I hot dog some of the loads and the unburnt powder can leave them nasty. Laughing

The barter system is alive and well, but the learning curve can be painful.

Certified NYS Hunter Safety Instructor.
Certified NYS Bow Hunter Safety Instructor.
Re: Walnut or Corn Cob media? [message #29290 is a reply to message #29017] Sun, 02 March 2014 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
This walnut media is quite dusty. Dust came out when I opened up the tumbler and left residue on the brass. Going to tumble again with corn cob to knock it off. Any one else experienced this? Or maybe it is the brand of walnut media?
Re: Walnut or Corn Cob media? [message #29291 is a reply to message #29290] Sun, 02 March 2014 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunnysmarine is currently offline  sunnysmarine
Richard. normal happens worse as it breaks down, I switched to Lymans Tuf Nut it has its own problems but it cleans fast and SHINNY I add corn to it to help with the dust residue, then I size and one more time in treated corn, I like bright and shinny ammo... Sunny
Re: Walnut or Corn Cob media? [message #29331 is a reply to message #29291] Mon, 03 March 2014 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
I got the dust problem as well, dryer sheets help A LOT

Previous Topic: media
Next Topic: 338 bullet length ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 12:07:17 EDT 2024