Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Reloading » Load development order of operations
Load development order of operations [message #28201] Sun, 02 February 2014 12:06
RD97 is currently offline  RD97
Novice Contributor
I've been doing some basic load development for the better part of 20 years now, but I've recently decided I want to step up my game in terms of accuracy and consistency. To help in this endeavor, I've started taking a lot more measurements and keeping better records of my reloads. So far, in addition to the usual load data and lot numbers, I'm using a Hornady/Stoney-Point comparator set to track headspace dimensions and overall length to a datum point on the bullet ogive. I hope to soon pick up a chronograph and a OAL gauge (to measure the distance of the seated bullet from the rifling).

This gives a pretty wide number of adjustable parameters for tuning a given caliber. If I try every combination, I may not have it figured out before the barrel is worn out and all the powder has gone stale. So I ask you, dear experts, which loading parameters do you optimize on, and in which order? For example, is it best to first find a combination of primer/powder/bullet that shows good accuracy or consistent velocity, and _then_ tinker with the seating depth and headspace amount? Or vice-verse?

Secondly, what sort of production tolerances should I be able to achieve for the various measurements? For example, last night I loaded my first box of 300-AAC using a 220gr Sierra Matchking. Using a Redding die set and a Forster press, without varying the seating die settings, over-all length measurements were taken using a Starrett dial caliper both from tip-to-base, and from ogive-to-base (using a .308 comparator). The tip-to-base values showed an extreme spread of about 14 mil, while the comparator values had a spread of 4 mil. Are these numbers typical, or does my technique need more work?

Thanks and happy shooting,
RD
Previous Topic: Cleaning moly off bullets
Next Topic: reloading rem280
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 00:12:12 EDT 2024