Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » DIY Gunsmithing » Getting started
Getting started [message #28708] Thu, 13 February 2014 16:52 Go to next message
zzzippper is currently offline  zzzippper
Forum Newbie
This is my first post. I have to do this before I can post the message I wanted to post that includes a link.

This is more or less the message I wanted to post:

I've been around guns for 50 years but I am brand new to these Frankenpistols. I searched on "getting started" but got a bunch of unrelated links.

Are these pistols as simple as buying a frame set: http://www.hausofarms.com/TC-SS-Prohunter-Pistol-Frame_p_184 .html and slapping any barrel you want on it?

I found a used Leupold scoped TCC locally for $475 which seemed like a decent price. But it is chambered for 7mm TCU. Since I don't reload anymore I'm looking for a more common caliber. Or, assuming it is as simple as swapping out just the barrel would this be a good way to go?

Thanks for listening to a noob.

[Updated on: Thu, 13 February 2014 16:57]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Getting started [message #28710 is a reply to message #28708] Thu, 13 February 2014 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
for encore or contender, you pretty much have it figured out. Yep, swap out the barrel, and perhaps the forend, grab ammo, and shoot away. Good number of chamber selections for the contender and encore both, so can use factory ammo. Not 100% sure, but someone may offer 7TCU loaded, so not 100% a reload only deal. You can either start with a frame and add a barrel, grip/buttstock and forend, scope optional, or get a "pkg" already set up as rifle or pistol depending on your preference. With or without barrel not a problem, if it has one you really don't want, plenty of other fellows may be willing and eager to trade for something you'd prefer.
You came to the right place to get started, welcome.
Jim
Re: Getting started [message #28722 is a reply to message #28710] Fri, 14 February 2014 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Yep, that simple. Pick what you want and go. On the Contender, see if you can get them to budge closer to $400 and then go for it. Remove the scope and base, clean the barrel, and offer to trade it here for the caliber of your choice. The TCU line is a great Contender cartridge and I'm sure there are more than a few that would like to get one.

The only real decision you need to make is what calibers you want to shoot. Contender is pretty much any pistol round below .50 caliber (not enough barrel left after drilling the bore) and rifle cartridges up to 30-30. Encore is open to anything you want to shoot - and a lot you won't.

AND -> Welcome aboard. Sorry for your new addiction

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!

[Updated on: Fri, 14 February 2014 10:38]

Re: Getting started [message #28725 is a reply to message #28722] Fri, 14 February 2014 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
Crubear wrote on Fri, 14 February 2014 08:37
Yep, that simple. Pick what you want and go. On the Contender, see if you can get them to budge closer to $400 and then go for it. Remove the scope and base, clean the barrel, and offer to trade it here for the caliber of your choice. The TCU line is a great Contender cartridge and I'm sure there are more than a few that would like to get one.

The only real decision you need to make is what calibers you want to shoot. Contender is pretty much any pistol round below .50 caliber (not enough barrel left after drilling the bore) and rifle cartridges up to 30-30. Encore is open to anything you want to shoot - and a lot you won't.

AND -> Welcome aboard. Sorry for your new addiction

Thanks, maybe it is an Encore that I really want. I'm still liking that Contender though.

And it seems that as I look around very few are being sold as complete pistols, guys buy components and build them up.

[Updated on: Fri, 14 February 2014 11:36]

Re: Getting started [message #28726 is a reply to message #28725] Fri, 14 February 2014 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
You CANNOT beat the trigger on a G1 Contender, the take-up and over travel screws (along with adjusting the trigger spring - NOT to be taken as advocating any unsafe practice like cutting) make it a phenomenal platform.

If you're looking to go no higher than a 223 or 204, and could be happy with a 30-30 or 45/70, by all means go Contender.

Don't get me wrong though, I do like my Encores (and don't have a Contender - right now).

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Getting started [message #28728 is a reply to message #28726] Fri, 14 February 2014 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
Crubear wrote on Fri, 14 February 2014 09:09
You CANNOT beat the trigger on a G1 Contender, the take-up and over travel screws (along with adjusting the trigger spring - NOT to be taken as advocating any unsafe practice like cutting) make it a phenomenal platform.

If you're looking to go no higher than a 223 or 204, and could be happy with a 30-30 or 45/70, by all means go Contender.

Don't get me wrong though, I do like my Encores (and don't have a Contender - right now).

Thanks for reminding me of another question. I'm seeing reference to "G1" etc. Is that similiar to "Generation 1" like for a Glock? If so, are they all backward and forward compatible?
Re: Getting started [message #28731 is a reply to message #28728] Fri, 14 February 2014 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
That is a very reoccurring conversation here Wink

Go here
http://www.encoreclassifieds.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&g oto=26044&&srch=contender+frames#msg_26044

and here
http://www.encoreclassifieds.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&g oto=25230&&srch=contender+frames#msg_25230

Re: Getting started [message #28737 is a reply to message #28731] Fri, 14 February 2014 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kc2htv is currently offline  kc2htv
Forum Regular
Frankenpistol Now that is a great name for some of the big bore Encores fer sure. Welcome by the way! If you are anything like the rest of the crew here, you will end up with both sooner or later. Smile The G1 Contender just feels right. My Encore though is just what the Doc ordered after a long hard week. Recoil Theropy!

The barter system is alive and well, but the learning curve can be painful.

Certified NYS Hunter Safety Instructor.
Certified NYS Bow Hunter Safety Instructor.
Re: Getting started [message #28740 is a reply to message #28737] Fri, 14 February 2014 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Cordite fever is only cured with recoil therapy

Re: Getting started [message #28747 is a reply to message #28740] Fri, 14 February 2014 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Let's not forget the wildcats based on the 307 win and the 444 Marlin for the contender, besides all the 30-30 based.
Re: Getting started [message #28748 is a reply to message #28747] Fri, 14 February 2014 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
pretty much back and forth from G-1 to G-2 other than grips (pistol and buttstocks), and some forends. (and muzzie exception which is G-2).
Jim
Re: Getting started [message #28751 is a reply to message #28748] Fri, 14 February 2014 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
kc2htv is currently offline  kc2htv
Forum Regular
Jim's right. If I could have any cal in existance for my Tender it would be the SSK .375 JDJ Prarie dog accuracy in Elephant stoping power. Not to bad on recoil for a pistol. To bad you dont see it for Encore. That would be a match made in pistol heaven. Yep Frankenpistol

The barter system is alive and well, but the learning curve can be painful.

Certified NYS Hunter Safety Instructor.
Certified NYS Bow Hunter Safety Instructor.
Previous Topic: Forearm Question for Encore
Next Topic: Super 16 forearm
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 00:44:58 EDT 2024