Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Reloading » Can't find 221 Fireball brass (Thinking about making my own)
Can't find 221 Fireball brass [message #28826] Mon, 17 February 2014 11:46 Go to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

I am thinking about forming my own brass for the Fireball out of 223 brass. I have never done this before and think I know the steps, but want to check with some of you fellows before jumping in.
Can I just cut off the 223 brass a little long and then size it down to 221, trim and go or do I have to do some other stuff as well. I have heard that military brass is too thick even cut down and would make the necks too thick. I thought that I would try to use commercial brass for this, would I still have to neck-turn the brass. I am also thinking about perhaps going on down to 17 cal as well maybe a little later after doing the 221 and getting into the swing of it. Any helpful ideas and thoughts would be appreciated.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: Can't find 221 Fireball brass [message #28838 is a reply to message #28826] Mon, 17 February 2014 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunnysmarine is currently offline  sunnysmarine
Murl, If you really get to it Confused your case volume will probably be less than factory 221, let me know how many swear words you used per case will you..... maybe if not to many I'll give it a try..... nah I've got pleanty Very Happy
Re: Can't find 221 Fireball brass [message #28840 is a reply to message #28838] Mon, 17 February 2014 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
And don't forget to anneal.....

or, you can go here
http://www.buffaloarms.com/221_Fireball_Reloading_Brass%20_i t-156916.aspx?CAT=3834

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Can't find 221 Fireball brass [message #28844 is a reply to message #28840] Mon, 17 February 2014 17:46 Go to previous message
sunnysmarine is currently offline  sunnysmarine
nice find... was going to add 300 whisper brass is the same length as 221 fb thats where it came from in the first place no cutting just a pain to get back to 22 cal.. midway was closing out 300 whisper for 25.00 a box 300 blackout would work also but is twice the price
Previous Topic: 30-30 Win Pistol loads?
Next Topic: Hornady tumbler (vibratory cleaner) question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 10:16:14 EDT 2024