Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Reloading » Hornady tumbler (vibratory cleaner) question
Hornady tumbler (vibratory cleaner) question [message #28987] Fri, 21 February 2014 18:54 Go to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
I have a Hornady tumbler (vibratory cleaner for those obsessed with pointing out the differences between the types). The all-thread that the wing nut goes on the top is VERY long. There is at least an inch of unused space that could be cut off, and I'm very tempted to do that, as it takes longer than it should to get the lid screwed down because of the wasted space on that all-thread rod.

Is there a reason for it? I know to leave some room so that the wing nut has plenty of space to grab, but I just don't know why it's necessary to screw that wing nut down at least an inch ++ of unused thread before it gets to the point it is actually holding the lid on tightly.

Am I the only one? Very Happy

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: Hornady tumbler (vibratory cleaner) question [message #28988 is a reply to message #28987] Fri, 21 February 2014 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

I have a Lyman and it is the same way. I thought about cutting it off a bit but just never have. There could be at least an inch and probably an inch and a half that could come off mine and not be missed. I wonder why the bean counters at the factory that makes them haven't cut the length down to save a penny or two.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: Hornady tumbler (vibratory cleaner) question [message #28989 is a reply to message #28988] Fri, 21 February 2014 19:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Exactly! But I'm scared there is a reason for it, and when I cut it off I'm going to damage this expensive piece of reloading equipment. That just seems stupid, but you never know... That's why I asked. I just don't want to jack up my equipment. Wish I could find someone who has cut theirs, and then I'd feel better about taking the Dremel to it. Smile
All the best,
Glenn

Re: Hornady tumbler (vibratory cleaner) question [message #28990 is a reply to message #28989] Fri, 21 February 2014 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wwkmag is currently offline  wwkmag

I will let you cut yours first so you can tell the rest of us if it is worth it! LOL
Re: Hornady tumbler (vibratory cleaner) question [message #28992 is a reply to message #28990] Fri, 21 February 2014 19:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
or do it the lazy way. Use a real nut and flatwasher and use a 3/8 drill with deep socket the size of the nut and zip it on quick. Even easier if it has a hammer drill adjustment where you can set the torque to quit at a certain tension point.
Jim
Re: Hornady tumbler (vibratory cleaner) question [message #28993 is a reply to message #28992] Fri, 21 February 2014 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunnysmarine is currently offline  sunnysmarine
Ok so you will all know the reason the bolt is that long it is so when you use the sifter lid it does not fall off and dump brass a cleaning media all over the garage floor.. just saying Shocked would not know for sure though Rolling Eyes I would never think I know more than the manufacture .... Embarassed but I dont waste all that time screwing anymore
Re: Hornady tumbler (vibratory cleaner) question [message #28994 is a reply to message #28987] Fri, 21 February 2014 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kc2htv is currently offline  kc2htv
Forum Regular
I have the Honandy big pumkin. Came with a little tub for small jobs. The lid works on both and there is a rubber bumper to keep the noise down. I cut the screw down bout an inch around 5 years ago. Very Happy dressed the threads, and don't miss spinning the wing nut for 10 mins.
Rick

The barter system is alive and well, but the learning curve can be painful.

Certified NYS Hunter Safety Instructor.
Certified NYS Bow Hunter Safety Instructor.
Re: Hornady tumbler (vibratory cleaner) question [message #28996 is a reply to message #28994] Fri, 21 February 2014 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
kc2htv wrote on Fri, 21 February 2014 20:12
I have the Honandy big pumkin. Came with a little tub for small jobs. The lid works on both and there is a rubber bumper to keep the noise down. I cut the screw down bout an inch around 5 years ago. Very Happy dressed the threads, and don't miss spinning the wing nut for 10 mins.
Rick

Thanks Rick! That's what I wanted to hear! Dremel tool is going to get used as soon as this latest batch of 7.62 stops tumbling.
All the best,
Glenn

Re: Hornady tumbler (vibratory cleaner) question [message #28997 is a reply to message #28996] Fri, 21 February 2014 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Regular
I'm about to use the small tub for the 1st time. Looks good for a small batch of .223 rem's. Just got some Cabela's media in. Looks like it has some red oxide in it. Always used corncob with polish or walnut when available. Looking forward to something new. I also ponder on how these 85gr noslers will work out. Now if mother nature would cooperate, I might find out. Shocked

Re: Hornady tumbler (vibratory cleaner) question [message #29001 is a reply to message #28997] Fri, 21 February 2014 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Before:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/cajuntec/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps9592066b.jpg

After:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/cajuntec/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps93eafd00.jpg

It seems like such a minor little thing, but it's just annoying to have to unscrew or screw that wing nut on for so long for no apparent reason. I've got 200 pieces of brass all cleaned up, shiny, and ready to reload on Sunday evening.

All the best,
Glenn

Re: Hornady tumbler (vibratory cleaner) question [message #29016 is a reply to message #29001] Sat, 22 February 2014 07:27 Go to previous message
Forum Regular
Gotta love that dremel tool. Smile

Previous Topic: Can't find 221 Fireball brass
Next Topic: media
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 10:01:09 EDT 2024