Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Reloading » media (brass cleaing)
media [message #29090] Sun, 23 February 2014 22:17 Go to next message
martin12961 is currently offline  martin12961
Forum Newbie
will pecan hulls work for cleaning brass ?
Re: media [message #29097 is a reply to message #29090] Mon, 24 February 2014 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kc2htv is currently offline  kc2htv
Forum Regular
Yes as long as it is crushed or ground.

The barter system is alive and well, but the learning curve can be painful.

Certified NYS Hunter Safety Instructor.
Certified NYS Bow Hunter Safety Instructor.
Re: media [message #29098 is a reply to message #29097] Mon, 24 February 2014 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

I think that they would work fine, but do have one question. Don't Pecan hulls have a lot of oil in them? If so that might make a difference. I do know that some nut hulls have a good amount of oil, not sure of pecan hulls.
Isn't it a little harder to find Pecan hulls then Walnut? I know I have never seen them listed anywhere. They would not be as hard as Walnut hulls either.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: media [message #29102 is a reply to message #29098] Mon, 24 February 2014 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
I would say pecan is much easier to find around here as we have pecan trees on about every block. No walnut trees around here. I would imagine I could get hulls real cheap at one of the shellers, never asked. Reckon the oil in it might actually aid in shining the brass? Hmm...
Re: media [message #29105 is a reply to message #29102] Mon, 24 February 2014 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

[quote Reckon the oil in it might actually aid in shining the brass? Hmm...[/quote]

I thought of that just after I had posted. It might be just want you need as a polish. I used to use Walnut with the red stuff in it, but it was so messy that I have gone to cob and am much happier with it. Not as bright as the red stuff but good enough to shoot. I clean mine shortly after firing and don't let them set around much, so they clean fairly easily.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: media [message #29106 is a reply to message #29105] Mon, 24 February 2014 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
My thought was if any oil powder and primer contamination and getting a little less "bang"
Jim
Re: media [message #29107 is a reply to message #29106] Mon, 24 February 2014 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kc2htv is currently offline  kc2htv
Forum Regular
Not enough oil in either pecan or walnut to make any diff. I have used both, and prefer them to cob. A little dab of simchrome polish when vibrated, makes for some very pretty cases.

The barter system is alive and well, but the learning curve can be painful.

Certified NYS Hunter Safety Instructor.
Certified NYS Bow Hunter Safety Instructor.
Re: media [message #29117 is a reply to message #29107] Mon, 24 February 2014 20:54 Go to previous message
martin12961 is currently offline  martin12961
Forum Newbie
thanks I will give it a try I can get them for $4.00 a bag at the pecan house it is about 20lbs
Previous Topic: Hornady tumbler (vibratory cleaner) question
Next Topic: Walnut or Corn Cob media?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 07:40:02 EDT 2024